News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

BOØWY vs. X-JAPAN

Started by gfsfgdfhfnmbvfgt, January 31, 2008, 02:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which band do you think had more of an influence on Japanese music?

BOØWY
4 (21.1%)
X-JAPAN
8 (42.1%)
They were both influential in different ways
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

gfsfgdfhfnmbvfgt

This is a question that had been haunting me for awhile. I always thought X-JAPAN were the most influential Jrock band, but when I had heard about BOØWY, They were the ones who seemed to be more influential. I'm afraid of getting baised answers because most jrock fans are only familiar with X-JAPAN and say they are more influential when in fact there is more evidence to support that BOØWY were more influential. But both bands were influential in different ways.For instance many vk bands who formed in the late 80's/early 90's have a BOØWY sound. Many vk bands nowadays many bands are more influenced by X-JAPAN (without actually sounding like them -_-).

If you have anything to add to this discussion please feel free to debate with me and other users.

xbiinex

I don't think there are many people who know any music by BOØWY. Me neither. Whereas  X Japan is quite well-known and popular. It will be difficult to discuss or compare a band nobody really knows.
Do you have any links or music samples of that band? Just to get an impression of their music. Any other information?

Culo

boowy is really really well known and of course was influential for most vk bands. even nowdays it's very common when various vk musicians do a session band they perform boowy songs (especially the famous "NO. N.Y")
An important and influential band like BUCK-TICK is heavily influenced by BOOWY, also GLAY. So I'd say X and BOOWY are both important for different reasons... they had very different images, music and attitude, but both formed the later VK, along with a few others.
Actually I think that while X, B-T, D'ERLANGER, etc were all labeled as VK, BOOWY never really were, they are older than those bands, they were one of the first really popular rock bands in Japan.
Fag who reads

Do As Eternity 6

Like it was said already they were both influential in different ways. If i had to say which was more then I'd probably have to go with boowy.

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

signal to noise

i honestly never even heard of Boowy until i read this magazine article today.

so i vote... Buck Tick.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

非難GO-GO > バクチク

They really don't compare in my opinion.
Boowy tops X for me any day though.

Quote from: signal to noise on January 31, 2008, 06:33:36 AM

so i vote... Buck Tick.

Then you don't know the greatness of Tomoyasu Hotei. =o?

music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

Yumeko

I don't think just because a band came out before another band that it is more influencial.  The Beatles weren't the first rock band; but they're certainly known for being the best band of their time.  I would say the most influencial bands to me are X Japan and Buck-Tick.
drawing by me...

4skin,

terrible comparison, IMO.

Boowy were okay in the beginning, but began to lull people into a deeper sleep than they had already been in when the band started out.

X on the other hand, have kept the great music coming, and as most of you know, they are still keeping the music coming today.

X keep me awake when i listen to them.

X > Boowy.

gfsfgdfhfnmbvfgt

I know that when Boowy had their 2 final concerts back in April of '88 they were held at the then newly opened Tokyo Dome. They sold out both nights in 10 minutes and tickets went as high as 500,000 yen which is somewhere in the ballpark of 5,000 U.S. dollars. And for the whole Buck-Tick thing their early sound is very reminiscent of Boowy. And the guitarist of Boowy's solo career easily equals that of hide.

signal to noise

Quote from: FALCO on January 31, 2008, 01:02:55 PM
They really don't compare in my opinion.
Boowy tops X for me any day though.

Quote from: signal to noise on January 31, 2008, 06:33:36 AM

so i vote... Buck Tick.

Then you don't know the greatness of Tomoyasu Hotei. =o?

noooope. teach me the greatness?
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Yumeko

Quote from: inacoop on January 31, 2008, 07:27:09 PM
I know that when Boowy had their 2 final concerts back in April of '88 they were held at the then newly opened Tokyo Dome. They sold out both nights in 10 minutes and tickets went as high as 500,000 yen which is somewhere in the ballpark of 5,000 U.S. dollars. And for the whole Buck-Tick thing their early sound is very reminiscent of Boowy. And the guitarist of Boowy's solo career easily equals that of hide.

Just because a band has influenced other bands doesn't mean they are -the- most influencial.
drawing by me...

【オ】

BUCK-TICK was influenced by BOØWY, that's right
but not ~heavily~ [I'm really into BT, saw them live]
but regarding the early records, you're right.
It was ~the~ sound... BT has a strong personality anyways

I lived in japan and watching the news they called BOØWY
'the legendary band which started visual rock'
I listened a lot to BOØWY, himuro simply rules

GLAY was called 'BOØWY disciple', makoto, drummer
of BOØWY played drums one time with GLAY (b.blue)
and finally GLAY made a song feat. himuro.

and one thing is true, NO.N.Y. is a hell of a song
I mean, the lyric is simply... hillarious.
BOØWY was the mix of the amazing guitar of hotei
and the power of himuro, that's it.

X-JAPAN is probably the most important band in visual rock
they started being a cult band, everyone played there
people from AION and lots of well respected trash metal acts

X is surely the most influencial band in terms of narcisisim.

I voted for BOØWY.