News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

The new D album...

Started by Yumeko, November 08, 2007, 05:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yumeko

I ordered the album last night on yesasia along with the new Merry album. I got version B, the brown cover, with the PV for Kuon.

In the mean time I've already listened to the album and I have to say it is AWESOME!!! This was the kind of album I was hoping for when they came out with their second album. Tafel was good; but it just didn't seem to match The Name of the Rose album. This new album, *fans self*, Asagi and the rest of the band as out done themselves.

First off, I don't know if Asagi's voice has ever sounded quite this good. And the guitar is amazing. And I must say; it was really nice in track 9 to hear all that bass. I've always liked Tsunehito; but hearing that bass showed me why he deserves to be the band. That was just crazy how fast he was playing. Really superb.

I have to say my favorite tracks are Follow, Signal, Ouka Someni Keri, Schwarzschild, Glacial Melt, Kuon, and my absolute favorite aside from two of the three singles...Canon Del Colca. When Asagi sings the "WOOOOAH" part...daaaaang. And the acoustic guitar work is awesome. I wish the song was longer. But in a way I suppose the shortness of it works to its advantage because its just short and sweet and I want to just put it on repeat.

Anywho, between the two new songs with PVs, Kuon and Barairo no Hibi...I like Kuon better. I ordered the album + DVD before listening to the new songs and just kind of based my decision solely on the covers heh. Which didn't vary too much from each other. Although the purple and pink is my favorite color combination and I like blue and green; I went with the brown. The brown tones just had an apocalypse feel to it and I liked that. It's also the version that had Kuon, the darker slow song of the two. My luck the other PV will be cooler; but this one has 3 more seconds of D :P and I have a feeling they'll be wearing the same outfits in both PVs. Plus, all of D's PVs have been fast songs; it'll be interesting to see what they do with a slow song.  Anywhoooo...yah, Canon Del Colca...that song needs a PV.

Back to the album, I noticed how some of the songs clearly represent a country.  Like Ouka is clearly Japan, Schwarzschild is clearly Germany, Canon Del Colca is Spain, Track 9 is India...I'm still listening to the songs to see if I can pick out more places.  It's a very interesting album. 
drawing by me...

baka_neko

I was actually quite impressed with this album as well(compared to their last one). And was Canon Del Colca Spain? It reminded me more of a "wild west" feel, especially at the end.

Yumeko

It made me think of Spain because of the way the acoustic guitar was played and there was a flamenco feel to it.  Plus, the title 'Cañón del Colca' is Spanish for Colca Canyon which is in Peru.  I can see where it sounds Western tho.  I still get more of a Spanish feel; but maybe they were going for a Western/Spanish thing.  Cause like in Texas there is a lot of Spanish influence there; soooo yah; maybe it's a mix of both.
drawing by me...

Do As Eternity 6

at first listen the only new songs that stuck with me were glacial melt, SIGNAL and graveless... so i was a bit dissapointed but after the second listen through i was in love ^^ it's a really good album those 3 are still my favorites along with ouka but i've also added canon del colca to that list. Anyway i agree with yumeko that part of the greatness of the album as that you can place some songs with a country. awesome-o

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

ghostface

I agree, it does have a journey theme going on. When I first heard Follow I had this image of D boarding a ship or something, haha. You know, to explore the world and beyond... musically.

Anywho, I'm really pleased with this album. The three singles which preceded it were all very unique in their own ways and I didn't expect they could come up with another song to match that. I'm talking Canon del Colca here, this track has win written all over it and it could've easily been a single. In fact, they may have been saving it for the album and went for Dearest You as a slightly weaker choice. Yeah, I thought they'd just make a bunch of tracks using the ideas from the singles (I wouldn't complain, mind you) but this album is much more varied. It's beautiful.

On the topic of song mapping: Glacial melt and Marine snow must be Scandinavia. Mmm, I love the slow pace in Marine snow (not ballad-slow but slower than your average D song, it's very refreshing).

Yumeko

^ yah I thought those two had to be somewhere snowy.

Something about the first track that sticks out to me; is it just me or do some parts (regarding Asagi's singing) remind you of the sort of falsetto singing that Gackt does (like in the song Ares on the Mars album)?  I know Asagi is no stranger to the high pitched singing and Gackt certainly doesn't have a patent on it; but something about it really made me think of Gackt just a little.  But then my next thought was "Asagi does it better" :P
drawing by me...

非難GO-GO > バクチク

It's Quite decent. I already liked D alot , but this was hands down better than the last album.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

kumagoro

yes!

Neo culture is awesome! a perfect disc! so complete with a new style in D ... and yes! the differentes songs means diferents part of the wolrd

but i believe that "canon de colca" are not spain ... is some like south america nee?

a spain song is "eguru shodou" of the tafel anatomie XD

but, wathever ... neo culture is the perfect album of D

*sorry for my english
<b> C'est la manie </b>

凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍

to me most the songs ALMOST sound the same except for the vocals, i love the vocals, but asagi needs to do more opera high pitched singing, some screams would be nice too...

umm i dunno. its a -good- album but not eargasmic! couldve been better i think. i liked their other album a tad more.
ramrod - Man of ur wetdreams

Do As Eternity 6

Quote from: 凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍 on November 09, 2007, 01:12:02 AM
to me most the songs ALMOST sound the same except for the vocals

umm i dunno. its a -good- album but not eargasmic! couldve been better i think. i liked their other album a tad more.

yea that's what i thought at first too which is why i was dissapointed to begin with but as i listened to it more i began to appreciate it more and picked up on what yumeko was saying.

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

The album is eargasmic for me ^_^  I don't think the songs sound the same at all.  But to each their own.
drawing by me...

Culo

Quote from: 凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍 on November 09, 2007, 01:12:02 AM
but asagi needs to do more opera high pitched singing,

god no... he sounds like some drunken 40 year old salaryman imitating a soprano at a karaoke night
Fag who reads

Yumeko

^ I think he's gotten a lot better.  I love when his voice gets high.  He does it very well.
drawing by me...

Culo

yeah I guess, lately I didn't mind his high pitched stuff much, but I prefer his deeper voice.

god, that "blablabla ARIA" song... I really couldn't listen to the whole thing without LOLing about his operatic attempts.
Fag who reads

nekki_chibi

Singles are nice, but album only songs are really boring -__-