News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Downloading, Stealing or Distributing?

Started by TeamAwesome, July 30, 2007, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamAwesome

I don't know if this topic has arisen around these parts recently, I remember taking part in a short argument about this some time ago, but it seems things are getting more serious and I'd like to hear the downloaders/sharers views.

I was arguing with a friend earlier (who has a very restricted taste in bands) that bands are now getting a lot more internet coverage because of the internet, which clearly means they have MORE fans buying MORE tickets and merchandise. Apparently more downloaders means less profit though.

Unfortunately I don't have any sources to give about how the most mainstream of Japanese bands are living, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the slums of Africa. This massive profit loss to those, let's admit it, poor recording labels deserve to die. It's only natural that one genre of music dies and another will rise to take it's place, so those companies recruiting artists in not so popular genres can't blame their LACK of downloads for their poor profit.

Of course, I can't make every argument ^^ so, ADD TO THE POT MY PRETTIES.

nekki_chibi

QuoteApparently more downloaders means less profit though.
Give us access to affordable legal downloads - and we'll leech from sharing sites less.
When japanese labels will contract with iTunes (for example) more and will decently promotion it, their profit will increase too.
Quotepoor recording labels deserve to die.
_poor_ _label_? i could imagine a poor band, renting a studio and printing CD-rs to make their music pay, but poor label, especially in jrock, is hard to imagine - they're making twice more money than any average european indie lable, not to mention some of young bands are must-die to the core.

TeamAwesome

Quotepoor recording labels deserve to die.
_poor_ _label_? i could imagine a poor band, renting a studio and printing CD-rs to make their music pay, but poor label, especially in jrock, is hard to imagine - they're making twice more money than any average european indie lable, not to mention some of young bands are must-die to the core.
[/quote]

Ah, an easily misunderstood statement ^^"" My bad. I meant recruiting companies that recruit out of date genres and expect them to be a star. Honestly I think all those idol winners deserve to die, I dunno about American Idol, but all Australian Idols have died appropriately. It's often the person that gets second place that ends up being a bigger idol. Either way, I don't hear complaints from major labelling companies, because they don't suffer so much from downloads as those that aren't  popular. It's pretty obvious why.

ZeroDyne

Actually, CD sales goes to the record label while the bands thrive on concerts and merchandise (sort of). But low CD sales =/= death of published music.

Look at Korea, the internet is hooked up EVERYWHERE, so pirating runs rampant. But Korean artists turns to their concerts for making money, not CD sales.