News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Miyavi

Started by Yumeko, July 19, 2007, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yumeko

Okay, so Miyavi to date has five albums if you count the doukuso one and then the new mini album that just came out as well as countless singles.  It seems people either love Miyavi or really despise him and I haven't really found anybody that is in between.

Personally I really like him; his style; sound; everything.  I know I really have no grounds for saying this; but based on videos I've seen such as comments to his fans and interviews I've read as well as his blogs; he seems like such a nice and sincere person who really values his fans a lot.  He also seems like the kind of guy that would be great to hang out with at a party and I often find myself really cheering for his success as a musician even if he isn't the best vocalist or composer.  Its more like cheering for a friend if that makes sense.  You just want to see someone deserving succeed.

I really like his music.  To me it's upbeat and positive; especially his new stuff.  I don't think you can listen to a Miyavi song and feel depressed afterwards; it always sort of lifts me up.  And it's not often you find good non-christian rock music that lifts you up like that.  At least that's what I find.

Some people really don't like his new style of music; but I have to say I like it for it's originality as well as I like the doukoso stuff.  I'm not offended by Miyavi changing his style with each album or his fashion because well; that's Miyavi.  Like the saying "Boys will be boys" well "Miyavi will be Miyavi"; I don't think you can pin him to one thing as he seems like the kind of person that wants to try it all.

I also must add that his performance was one of the best at JRR and really pumped up the crowd.  There were other bands between both days that had really great performances.  But Miyavi's was definately one of the best.  And of course he was awesome at the S.K.I.N. concert.

So I pass this to you.  Your thoughts/opinions on Miyavi?
drawing by me...

Culo

I think it was in 2003. Suddenly everyone was talking about him,  I didn't really liked due le quartz much and wasnt familiar with any of the members, so i guess that's why i didn't get the hype. anyway the same month miyavi threads starting appearing on every forum, i started seeing scans with him everywhere like mad, and cant remember how but i ended up downloading his first album just to check it out. i didn't really get what was so good about it, my first thought: "hide wannabe, and a bad one at it"
i tried a few times to get into his music, but it just doesn't fit with my tastes at all. since then, meevz has only been a good reason to laugh at. me and some dudes from msn would start looking for his lyrics and laughing about his engrish or pictures or just his fangirls. i dont hate miyavi but i wouldnt like people to think i like him if I say i like VK.
Comically, the only Due le quartz song I like, Jisatsu ganbou, was one of the few non-meev songs, written by Kikasa :P
Fag who reads

Do As Eternity 6

i love miyavi ^^ back in the early days of my getting into visual kei he was my second favorite artist  *mind you it wasn't really that long ago xD i got into him a few months before miyavism came out* yup... i found out about him from a thread at TN talking about artists you dislike or w.e and someone was all like miyavi he can't sing worth shit or w.e ...me being the curious little girl i am decided well then i have to hear this crud for myself.... instead i liked it xD i loved his crazy style i thought it was cool and what not and i really like the way he played guitar... not necessarily his singing but i never thought it was terrible either just average... i just really liked his guitar playing xD *and addmitantly I'm a sucker for acoustics*so yea i never got what was so terrible about miyavism ...except that it was completely different from the other 2 albums (then again I've always liked it when a band changes style...well almost always any way) which i liked as well but w.e .... oh gee i'm raving ...well

*cough* months pass and my love for miyavi falls a bit *laments* not because i started to dislike his change ...just because i started to discover people i like more... i still like him a lot and i like the fact he's putting it out there and doing smth that no one else in the genre seems to be doing, so i respects him yup and i agree his performance at JRR was awesome i really liked all the pieces to the band ...it made for a cool experience

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

personally for me I am not much of a big fan of his first two albums.  In fact if his style was just like that today; I might not be a fan at all.  Miyavizm is the first album I listened to and I instantly liked it...all the songs on it.  And I love the MYV POPS album and that was the album that won over my friends who weren't so crazy about his heavier style.  Also; I love acoustics and the dokosou album was awesome so I bought it on ebay ^^ although I think it was a bootleg which saddens me; but ah well; wasn't on purpose on my part.  I do own an official copy of the POPS album.  Anywho; I expect Miyavi's style will keep changing so I'm going to get to attached to anything he does.  I'll just simply enjoy it as he puts it out there.
drawing by me...

Do As Eternity 6

ah you see i like his first 2 albums but i admit i don't listen to them that much ... i like to listen to the combo of night in girl and girls be ambitious often though xD i have the dokusou album because a friend bought it as a gift...my other friend whose a waay bigger meev fan than i has the MYV pops and his dokusou... the biggest fan of meevs has them all or most me thinks ... and erm my other friend has miyavism, she bought it when we went to animenext to test him out but she didn't really like it cuz she doesn't like his voice to much but she likes his guitar playing xD and she says that she likes his new style that it's really good ...yup ...so that's the collective miyavi collection thingamabob...oh gawd i'm going off again...erm so yea...

so how about the samurai sessions with all the remakes? what do you think?

i think i should go through the again since i haven't really formed a true opinion on all of  them there are some i'm not to fond of but i really like the remake of kimi ni negai wo, then again the original is probably one of my favorite miyavi songs too...but that doesn't quite work because I'm still not feeling the girls be ambitious one...but anyway also the ame ni utaeba remake i like it's really smooth ...i think i like that one more than the original

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

Champ213

Quote from: Yumeko on July 19, 2007, 03:37:15 PM
Okay, so Miyavi to date has five albums if you count the doukuso one and then the new mini album that just came out as well as countless singles.  It seems people either love Miyavi or really despise him and I haven't really found anybody that is in between.

Well, now you have. I neither love nor despise him. I just don't care about thim. I checked some of his songs years ago when he went solo. It didn't impress me so I actually never bothered with him again, although I'm sure he changed since then. But seeing that I don't really care for any PS Company artist, I doubt it will make much of a difference now.

Vessicator

Goddamn, people over-exaggerate Miyavi's skills. It's not that I think he sucks, because he is a pretty good guitarist, but honestly? Not the 'best guitarist' in the world.

I liked Galyuu and Gagaku though. Not really digging his present image (cut the fucking hair). But he's still a good artist for new j-rock fans to listen to.

Do As Eternity 6

^ well i don't think he's the best guitarist in the world ... i just like the way he plays =P

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

wonderword

He's good, yeah, but he over-abuses that slap-pop dead note shit too much. I see people calling him as good as or better than Sugizo all the time now that they're in SKIN together, and it just makes me want to put my head down and never pick it back up again.

ipetcats

Haha, this was an interesting read.

I'm sure if you've seen me on last.fm and livejournal, you'd know how obsessed with this man I actually am.
And, for the half-decade I loved him, I never once found him sexy, haha.
It makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time he tries.

Personally, I don't know why I love this man so much; I guess it's because he's a genuinely nice person and actually likes his fans and hates rumours.  Then, his music makes me happy, like most of you had said on here.

I'm not going to list everything I bought of him, but ... yeah D:

fangy89

I still don't get what the big deal is over him...but I guess that's just something I'll never understand. Ah well. The only thing I do like about him are his music videos, but his voice irritates me too much sometimes and I have to watch them with my speakers off -_-

Yumeko

Quote from: Do As Eternity 6 on July 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PMmy other friend has miyavism, she bought it when we went to animenext to test him out but she didn't really like it cuz she doesn't like his voice to much but she likes his guitar playing xD and she says that she likes his new style that it's really good
I love the Miyavizm album.  Do you think she'd want to sell that album to me?  LOL  Seriously tho...

Quote from: Vessicator on July 19, 2007, 09:49:36 PM
Goddamn, people over-exaggerate Miyavi's skills. It's not that I think he sucks, because he is a pretty good guitarist, but honestly? Not the 'best guitarist' in the world.

I liked Galyuu and Gagaku though. Not really digging his present image (cut the fucking hair). But he's still a good artist for new j-rock fans to listen to.
Quote from: Seraneth on July 19, 2007, 10:02:04 PM
He's good, yeah, but he over-abuses that slap-pop dead note shit too much. I see people calling him as good as or better than Sugizo all the time now that they're in SKIN together, and it just makes me want to put my head down and never pick it back up again.

I don't think he's the best guitarist in the world; but I think for a 25 year old who probably picked up guitar in his teens; he's pretty damn good.  I wouldn't say he's better than Sugizo because for one; I haven't heard enough of Sugizo to judge.  I will say that Sugizo was playing lead guitar at the S.K.I.N. debut and he was really really good.  I was in the second row and right between him and Gackt; so I gotta good look at him and what he can do for the first time.  I was certainly impressed.  And he plays violin very well too.  Anywho...I like the slap-pop dead note shit that Miyavi has been abusing lately XP

Quote from: ipetcats on July 19, 2007, 11:09:43 PMPersonally, I don't know why I love this man so much; I guess it's because he's a genuinely nice person and actually likes his fans and hates rumours.  Then, his music makes me happy, like most of you had said on here.

yah that's how I feel exactly.

Quote from: fangy89 on July 19, 2007, 11:19:12 PM
I still don't get what the big deal is over him...but I guess that's just something I'll never understand. Ah well. The only thing I do like about him are his music videos, but his voice irritates me too much sometimes and I have to watch them with my speakers off -_-

I love his music videos; they are usually very entertaining.

Quote from: Do As Eternity 6 on July 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PMso how about the samurai sessions with all the remakes? what do you think?

So far I like it.  But honestly I find myself just listening to 'Selfish Love'; 'Rock'n'Roll is NOT dead'; 'Shouji no Vrock' and I like the remake of 'Kimi ni negai wo' as well.  I like the originals best of R'N'R is not dead and Kimi ni Negai wo.  But I like the new versions of Selfish Love and Shouji no Vrock better.
drawing by me...

Do As Eternity 6

^ lol seriously i think she would ^^ she needs money now to buy the new alice nine. album when it comes out ...if you want i'll ask her =]

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

Yumeko

Quote from: Do As Eternity 6 on July 19, 2007, 11:34:15 PM
^ lol seriously i think she would ^^ she needs money now to buy the new alice nine. album when it comes out ...if you want i'll ask her =]

Yah; like I don't have a lot of money myself; but if it's in good condition and no scratches; I would like to buy it.

*cough* back on topic *cough*
drawing by me...

snickety

When all the internet kiddos started going crazy over him, I gave his early solo stuff a try & thought it was horrible. Then when Miyavizm came out I downloaded it anyway cuz I liked one of the singles or b-sides (don't remember which). I was traveling with my dad and decided to finally listen to it, then I ended up listening to mostly that for the rest of my trip. I wasn't really feeling the Pops album apart from the singles, but I probably need to give it more of a try.

I think he's pretty cool, he seems genuine. Of course there are better musicians than him, but his stuff is rather enjoyable too.

@ Yumeko: Do you only want Japanese releases? Cuz at annyoung.com you can get Korean releases of Miyavizm, Pops, and Dokusou for 15-16 bucks. (And if you buy 4 items you get free shipping, I think.)