News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Making Tonberry more of a community website

Started by DO, April 27, 2007, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champ213

Just recently there was a new user who wasn't familiar with the forums and posted several off-topic posts in the wrong forums. Even though it's not that big of an issue one would still think that some moderator would move them to a more appropriate forum. Of course nothing happened. The posts are still there. Nobody really monitors if torrents are named correctly anymore either. It all leads to the impression that this forum has been orphaned by the mods. I don't think that's good.

ZeroDyne

Quote from: Champ213 on May 01, 2007, 12:44:02 AM
Just recently there was a new user who wasn't familiar with the forums and posted several off-topic posts in the wrong forums. Even though it's not that big of an issue one would still think that some moderator would move them to a more appropriate forum. Of course nothing happened. The posts are still there. Nobody really monitors if torrents are named correctly anymore either. It all leads to the impression that this forum has been orphaned by the mods. I don't think that's good.

We have moderators?

Champ213

Lol, yeah. Four of them, according to the members list.

Champ213

Ok, here are a few more formulated suggestions:

1) As I said, create more sub-forums. At the moment we have for discussions... what? One forum for flames and one for non-flames? That's rather poor. And due to the lack of active moderation the distinction is pretty meaningless anyway. Keep the flame pit and, I dunno.... create at least 2 new sub-forums, one general music forum and one for other stuff? Maybe this woul encourage people to talk about something else then j-rock-related things. (Which happens rarely so far.)

2) Flames should be kept to the flame pit. I know, this is TEH iNtERneT!1! and everyone wants to be an in-your-face toughguy, or likes to scream about freedom of speech as if some trivial ranting on a music forum was the last battle for civil liberties, but honestly, it's hard to build a community when discussions succumb to "you suck"-level.
There's nothing wrong with disagreement but too much hostility kills a discussion. But again, this would need an active moderation.

3) Maybe create a Welcome/Introduce-yourself-thread for newbies. There are almost 7000 users and only very few participate actively. I'm sure many only come for the downloads, but some might come out of lurking if they had a proper place to start.

Just my 2 cents...

非難GO-GO > バクチク

Quote from: Champ213 on May 01, 2007, 03:15:36 PM
Ok, here are a few more formulated suggestions:

1) As I said, create more sub-forums. At the moment we have for discussions... what? One forum for flames and one for non-flames? That's rather poor. And due to the lack of active moderation the distinction is pretty meaningless anyway. Keep the flame pit and, I dunno.... create at least 2 new sub-forums, one general music forum and one for other stuff? Maybe this woul encourage people to talk about something else then j-rock-related things. (Which happens rarely so far.)

2) Flames should be kept to the flame pit. I know, this is TEH iNtERneT!1! and everyone wants to be an in-your-face toughguy, or likes to scream about freedom of speech as if some trivial ranting on a music forum was the last battle for civil liberties, but honestly, it's hard to build a community when discussions succumb to "you suck"-level.
There's nothing wrong with disagreement but too much hostility kills a discussion. But again, this would need an active moderation.

3) Maybe create a Welcome/Introduce-yourself-thread for newbies. There are almost 7000 users and only very few participate actively. I'm sure many only come for the downloads, but some might come out of lurking if they had a proper place to start.

Just my 2 cents...

Huzzah. Those are very good suggestions.

1. I say , if they had time to re-do the layout. I know this is the default for the script. Heck i'd even offer to help out on the site graphics wise if they want me to. I just like eye candy , and stuff. =x Lol , if your not going to do it , let me do it. XD

2. Make the tracker private , and crack down on the ratio. I like the sites like oink uk , and uknova who make you have a really nice ratio in order to download. Or make it a delay on the torrents so that people just joining cannot just instantly download ( kinda like Jpopsuki ). Also make the torrent section members only instead of public.

3. Make more mods? =o yes , i think only two of you post. Well I know Joe Sushi also posted recently.

music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

Yumeko

Quote2. Make the tracker private , and crack down on the ratio. I like the sites like oink uk , and uknova who make you have a really nice ratio in order to download. Or make it a delay on the torrents so that people just joining cannot just instantly download ( kinda like Jpopsuki ). Also make the torrent section members only instead of public.

as I said earlier...one of the things I like about here is there is no ratio minimum.  The reason I'm against it is because I unfortunately have a bad connection so even if I seed all night and all day for x amount of time; my ratio hardly goes up.  Even so with a bad connection I still seed.  Now if there was a way for some members to earn a better ratio by doing other things or getting permission to download without a delay that would be good.  For example I tend to share more in the direct download forum.

Like I think Jpopsuki has VIP members.  They are people who are active on the site; upload stuff direct/torrent; and generally are good members.  That would be a good way for people with bad connections to get around the ratio deal.  I swear to God if I have a better connection my ratio would be through the roof because I leave my bitcomet window open all the time.  Still my ratio doesn't go up and I'd be really disappointed if I had to deal with delays here too.
drawing by me...

非難GO-GO > バクチク

Have you port forwarded Bitcomet? I use Utorrent , it's alot better at seeding. ( it has a super seeding option ). Your connection might be bottle necked by your firewall. I would check and see if you can do that.

http://portforward.com/

Vessicator

kill your firewall. all you need is a virus-scanner and pop-up blocker; unless you're war-driving or stealing wireless connection from your neighbors (or, god forbid, you decide to visit naughty websites), a fire-wall isn't needed. get that microsoft shit if you're desperate for a false sense of security.

And yeah, Utorrent>bitcomet/azureus/bittorrent

I second the private tracker. Faggots here barely seed; it's a pain in the ass.

lastly: this is the internet. There is no 'freedom of speech'.

Champ213

Quote from: Vessicator on May 02, 2007, 05:38:33 AM

Exactly. But people who can't keep to simple rules of civility always like to whine on how they get "censored".
I really don't care about flames. I can ignore them pretty well, but others obviously can't and quickly the whole thread succumbs into a name-calling. That's no fun. If I would want to see a cat fight I can visit my parents and watch my little sisters, I don't need to go to an internet forum for that.
The point is, I think we need mods that are willing to actually delete posts that are nothing but flames and aren't posted in the flame pit to begin with, and not move the whole thread into the flame pit, like it happened with the hide thread. That doesn't solve anything, it will only mean that half of the threads will have to be moved sooner or later. Again, how can we have discussions if threads can be hijacked so easily?

The question was how to make this more of an community. At the moment I sense little community and a lot of hostility. A community needs rules and people who enforce the rules. Keep the discussion forum for civil discussion. Trolls and attention whores who need to proove what cynical bad asses they are can do so in the flame pit.

Yumeko

Quote from: Champ213 on May 02, 2007, 11:08:57 AMThe point is, I think we need mods that are willing to actually delete posts that are nothing but flames and aren't posted in the flame pit to begin with, and not move the whole thread into the flame pit, like it happened with the hide thread. That doesn't solve anything, it will only mean that half of the threads will have to be moved sooner or later. Again, how can we have discussions if threads can be hijacked so easily?

I agree.  It was really disappointing to see that thread, as you said hijacked and moved to the flame pit.  Mods should've warned the people flaming in a thread that wasn't in the flame pit.

QuoteHave you port forwarded Bitcomet? I use Utorrent , it's alot better at seeding. ( it has a super seeding option ). Your connection might be bottle necked by your firewall. I would check and see if you can do that.

http://portforward.com/

I have the newest version of bitcomet.  I also went through on that site before and went through my firewall and set it up so it doesn't affect bitcomet.  I think it's just my connection.  I have cable connection and I'm on a router with four other computers.  My computer is about 6 or almost 7 years old.  I don't know if that all would affect someone's connection; I'm not that great with computers so I apologize if I sound like an idiot.
drawing by me...

Vessicator

Quote from: Champ213 on May 02, 2007, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: Vessicator on May 02, 2007, 05:38:33 AM

Exactly. But people who can't keep to simple rules of civility always like to whine on how they get "censored".
I really don't care about flames. I can ignore them pretty well, but others obviously can't and quickly the whole thread succumbs into a name-calling. That's no fun. If I would want to see a cat fight I can visit my parents and watch my little sisters, I don't need to go to an internet forum for that.
The point is, I think we need mods that are willing to actually delete posts that are nothing but flames and aren't posted in the flame pit to begin with, and not move the whole thread into the flame pit, like it happened with the hide thread. That doesn't solve anything, it will only mean that half of the threads will have to be moved sooner or later. Again, how can we have discussions if threads can be hijacked so easily?

The question was how to make this more of an community. At the moment I sense little community and a lot of hostility. A community needs rules and people who enforce the rules. Keep the discussion forum for civil discussion. Trolls and attention whores who need to proove what cynical bad asses they are can do so in the flame pit.

I can't help but think that this was indirectly stated towards me .

Touche.

Nevertheless, a community needs both parties' efforts to build. We need responsible administrators as well as members who aren't just leeches. Seems like a long-shot given the current condition of this place.

Champ213

I can't help but think that this was indirectly stated towards me .

Indeed, but there have been others too. (The main reason why the Flame Pit was created back then...) But without moderation the whole forum is one big flame pit anyway.
I'm really not so much concerned with leeches. If there are downloads, then there will be leeches. I don't care much for the downloads myself, because I get most of my stuff elsewhere. However, the downloads can attract new users, and those who actually want to participate in discussions will do so. But I think it's possible to encourage more users to participate by giving them them more  opportunity and creating a better overall atmosphere.

That's what I suggest. *shrug*
But I'm just repeating myself, now let's see what the admins are planning.

非難GO-GO > バクチク

Yeah , i hardly ever download from here , I get all my stuff elsewhere as well. Mainly buying the cds. I would like to see more discussions that don't lead to arguments more. =/

Vessicator

Kashshaptu

I know I'm a noob and never posted much, but I have been uploading/downloading files a lot in the past and think this is one of the better sites around, cause there's some rare stuff shared here sometimes^^

And as much as I'm for a ratio system (look at the well-oiled machine of filelist.org *_*), I don't think it's needed. Seeders will continue seeding when they get a good feeling of the forums. When they actively post and read and get the feeling this is a nice site to hang out at, they'll probably continue seeding for way longer^^

So maybe improving the forums? More topics and better vibe (no flames, admins who are tough but reasonable?) and the seeders will come?

Or does this sound way too utopian? XD