News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Ratio System??

Started by noslen_seta, June 24, 2006, 03:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TenDemon

I like the Idea of stats...(even though i don't upload I try to seed as much as i possibly can).  But like noslen_seta, I have no idea how i could set my torrent client to log...or even view such info.

So, thanks Dragonoutlaw for looking into it!

Rust.Orange

I really miss the old sharing ratio system.   :'(  It would be nice to have back.

By the way, Mr. Seta, you are too hilarious. You can have my a/s/l anytime, lol. 
[American sign language,  ;)]
"お財布を恵んで頂けなければ、このナイフで刺させて頂きます。" - some random person

noslen_seta

Healthy Foods + Vitamins + Gym + Steroids + Jesus = Super Jesus

impact

well i've looked into it and its possible but do we really need it ?

Alice the Sister

I don't think we need it. And I really don't want it, either. Bit Torrent is about sharing. On soulseek, they don't keep a ratio. It's more about 'as long as you share'

I think having no ratio promotes a friendly environment and discourage egoistic behavior such as people talking down to people with low ratios or something. I mean, at the old site I had a pretty decent ratio, and I had uploaded over 76 torrents. Now I realize, that it should be more about sharing the music as opposed to just getting 'stats'. What does it show? That a person has more money or is lucky enough to have a fast connection and lots of bandwidth? It doesn't show who honestly cares about the file-sharing community, it just shows stats. People with slow connections and less money to afford big hard drives can easily care just as much, but if their stats don't show it sometimes they get treated differently. I've been to plenty of torrent sites, these things happen. I'm glad that a ratio is actually an option here.

Well, I guess this is just my opinion. I don't really know what gives me the right to say some of these things, but I'm just trying to look at it from both ends of the spectrum, and what would work out best in the long run.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

TenDemon

Well this is the suggestion area of the forum. So I would hope opinions are welcome.

Honestly though, I can understand your opinion Alice the Sister. I have not been to many torrent sites so I have never seen any of it. Even though, I can see how it could happen.

Stats are nice... But I guess they are not necessary when you really look at it from that point of view. Besides, it took me all of 5 min to figure out how to view my stats with my torrent client. so yeah. lol

noslen_seta

i think we need ratio system to trace who are the leechers its so unfair sharing your stuff to people who don't even know what sharing is all about and what about 'as long as you share' do u think everyone who download your torrents spend some time seeding it?? lots of member in the last site don't do nothing but leech. in my own opinion people with negative ratio should be banned.  and by the way its more fun seeding when u can see your stats go high anyway i don't really care much if they put ratio system or not well that's all i can say  ;)

BillStBill

Having a bad ratio doesn't do anything but tell others how big of an asshole you are. I like having ratios

Rust.Orange

Quote from: BillStBill on July 11, 2006, 03:08:50 AM
Having a bad ratio doesn't do anything but tell others how big of an asshole you are. I like having ratios

I really agree with this, and for the opposing view of "people will look down on people with lower share ratios" it is because they should be looked down upon. I do not mean the "1.0 is bad" type of share ratio, but rather those people who are leeching to the point of having a share ratio of 0.20 and they have downloaded over 30 GB. That person (or people) should bear the mark of shame.
"お財布を恵んで頂けなければ、このナイフで刺させて頂きます。" - some random person

impact

true ratios do make people seed more but that means i need to fix the php load issue so it will take some time

BillStBill

noslen_seta

Blebekblebek

yeah I love stats too
the things like this makes ppl just want to leech

many torrent has no seeders btw.. :'(
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

impact

just noticed that but stats don't force people to seed.

gingetsu

I do also like stats...
the point in it for me is, that soon I forget how much I was leeching and how much I was seeding...
the stats just prevent me to get some bad ratio
and I think noslen-seta is right... its more fun seeding while watching the stats going higher and higher ;)