News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

tonberry Visual overload

Started by themotivator, February 17, 2007, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themotivator

Ok just to start I love all music. There is no genre/subgenre out there that I havent either bought or listened too im pretty open minded to music, but I have noticed a trend on this site since it changed and thats the amount of visualkei (nagoya kei oshare kei ero guro etc)  its a cool scene I have to admit and some bands are really talented, although I really miss the tonberry which had some really hard to find japanese ska, punk, shoegaze,noise and  Psychedelic  bands, stuff were if you went to a art space in the middle of some dive area you would see these bands. That stuff no longer sems to come up any more and its too bad cause you can get most vikei stuff of soulseek or other sources this site was unique it had stuff you couldnt get anywhere. My best friend said yesterday that he hates Jrock he says and I qoute "why listen to  a genre thats all about makeup and  lolita goth clothes with a fake punk attitude, if I wanted that I would listen to some T-rex or the faces its the same crap", that made me sad since Jrock is such a broad term like metal it has a million sub genres but since most people only see visual kei stuff they start to think  jrock=visualkei. I might be writing this cause Im mad I missed Rockahula Goose perform a couple of days ago and ended up seeing some band that just tried way to hard to look cool and didnt even seem intrested in playing or enjoying the audience experience. So if anyone has some cool stuff like some ska or some punk bands that are just not getting anywhere post there stuff lets get some diffrent stuff going again on this site.

KUON

Well sadly, most so called overseas fans are mostly interested in vkieee.

I like vkie too, but I admit most vkiee bands suck ass big time. Looks go before music, (cough) oshare?

So you will see lots of VK stuff here. Means lots of bad music.

Alice the Sister

Quotewhich had some really hard to find japanese ska, punk, shoegaze,noise and  Psychedelic  bands, stuff were if you went to a art space in the middle of some dive area you would see these bands. That stuff no longer sems to come up any more and its too bad cause you can get most vikei stuff of soulseek or other sources this site was unique it had stuff you couldnt get anywhere.

Most of the users that posted those files have moved over to my website bfm.

We got a lot of the Avant-garde, noise, and/or experimental sorts of music over there. Not very much ska, but I'm sure you could request some.

This place really isn't so bad. I mean, sure you have the people who only pay attention to how a band looks instead of the music. Rather, you'll always have people who only look at the more ...shallow.... aspects of music. But there's an occasional album or two I'll find myself downloading here. I don't really "go looking" much on soulseek anymore since if it's something I really want, chances are I'll find it here. Like metronome or Dir en grey or something. I really enjoyed that Daisuke Asakura torrent. That's definately not something that fits the norm here, but it's still damn good.

I don't listen to a lot of the stuff posted here, and I don't upload things here any more because the community is more Visual Kei and Japanese "rock" music. While nobody should be discouraged from uploading whatever they want, sometimes you'll get attacked if you upload something that's not J rock. One time someone uploaded some Psy trance, and he got yelled at when they found out it wasn't J rock. I thought that was really shallow, and incredibly immature. Back in the day, rock was in the majority but if something wasn't "rock" music then it was still alright. You wouldn't get chewed out because of it. It's almost sad that it's come to that.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

idolcrash

Damn it, I was just about to post the same thing, albeit in a more hilarious manner that would've probably gotten me banned again.

And yeah, most of us at bfm have shitloads of esoteric music (I've got some Japanese ska if you want it, request at the forums), so it is good for that. And it is good to find Zion Punch releases, because that is usually the only place I remember to upload them. Eventually someone will mention something about Mininova and it will make its way over to those sites.

Oh and VK sucks.
I say that even though I like a few bands, mostly to look more inflammatory.

Jau_Peacecraft

the motivator, i think you've just moved up maslow's hierarchy of needs. 

I would say your on the top now, while a considerable portion of this board would be located in "Saftey And Security" area.

You also touch upon what will be an annoying dillema for the increase of populariy with vk: the growing generalization of people thinking jrock is another term for vkei, when vkei is actually a sub-genre that is considerably more controversial when it comes to questions of quality compared to jrock.  It's a shame that this place is what is now compared to what it was, but Im not gonna throw fire on that because idol was polite and I wanna be cool too.  Although, i do like an oven roast.

to be honest, if it wasnt for the Zeig-Heil "this is not visual-kei !! EINES!" (love that front page), overall lack of humor about vkei possibly sounding like crap to other people and no moi dix moi torrents, this place wouldn't be so bad.   Sry for putting in my 2-cents, ill go back to logging in once every month or so.

Yumeko

Well I admit I like VK.  But I do remember the old tonberry days when day after day there was some discography or something really worth downloading.  Nowadays I find a lot of rare stuff on livejornal communities.  I am trying to upload other stuff though such as jpop, kpop, and krock.
drawing by me...

klavierbarrette

ah yes, the time when tonberry was a tracker.  had a lot more stuff.  not that i really mind but it's really all vkei.

the stuff that isn't gets pushed down too...

btw, maslow ftw.

Do As Eternity 6

hey i'm trying to put some non-vk stuff on the tracker but no one really takes up on it xD  i agree it's not a good thing when vk seems to mean J-rock for somepeople when it's really just a sub-genre >_>  i've only really gotten into the Vk rock scene for maybe about 2 years so i'm still pretty much into my other subgenres as well ...and i kinda wish people would be more open to it ...but hell w/e there are plenty of places to still get that stuff too ...i get all my rare non-vk stuff over at either J-popsuki or jpopmusic from the most wonderful awesomest person ever voodooninjamunky ^^

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Punishment

Looks before music is so true i am too guilty of that T_T

you can still look good(make up and all) but please make you music unique and not sounding like a generic band with nothing new to offer y'know?

that is the trend with alot of visual bands, if you look it, then you better sound like it (even if it sucks)

and alot of even sounding good visual band like Celestia le ciel/Merveille magique suffer from not having the rugged,raw,fake-attitude,sexual, etc look or sound like most v-kei bands have. But they sound great IMO and they have their own unique look to them but they are often un-noticed to the "J-scene kids"

my 2 cents and whoring
www.myspace.com/celestialeciel
www.myspace.com/merveillemagique
XD go to their page and listen they are GOOD XDXD

idolcrash

Quotesuffer from not having the rugged,raw,fake-attitude,sexual, etc look or sound

You're wrong, bands suffer from having that.

Punishment

Quote from: idolcrash on February 20, 2007, 07:04:59 PM
Quotesuffer from not having the rugged,raw,fake-attitude,sexual, etc look or sound

You're wrong, bands suffer from having that.

tell that to the American Visual fans

but i get ya. ^_^

as for oshare kei bands I forgot to mention in the last post, I can see where their cute buble gum look can get them far but their music can suffer in just plain bad songs, thats the case for alot of bands, not all but alot , *sigh* looks arent everything people .T_T

lovetrick

^ Any American fan that thinks that is ignorant. You shouldn't generalize such a wide amount of people -_-;

idolcrash

Generalizations aren't bad when they are true, like with Jews.

And American VK fans are, on the whole, fucking morons :)

Do As Eternity 6

^lol ...that made me giggle

but i agree with ♥trick...especially since most of us base this on what people say and post on the internet and there are tons of american visual fans that don't post on forums and what not ... it's just from a small sample

and as for o-share kei bands ...I think it's just as bad  people liking them just for their looks as people who write them off for the same reason =/ ...there are plenty of good oshare bands who do care about their music first and make great music ...and the looks before music thing is smth the fans seem to take priority in ...not neccesarily the band ...so yea ... I'm sleepy

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Punishment

Quote from: ♥trick on February 20, 2007, 08:32:46 PM
^ Any American fan that thinks that is ignorant. You shouldn't generalize such a wide amount of people -_-;

Ja, your right i mis-said what i was meaning to say  ....(if that makes sense XD)

But yea a good percentage of the american VK/j-music fans are like that IMHO

But hey i'm not here to bash all bands, if i diddnt like the music i wouldnt be on here, right? Just making a opinion ^_^