News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Suggestions?

Started by Clockwork Heart, February 15, 2007, 10:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockwork Heart

Well, I'm having a bit of a hard time choosing out some bands to send to a friend of mine.

A while back, almost a good year (maybe longer) ago, I sent my friend some Dir en grey. Apparently, he liked it and found a couple more songs (although he lost the songs I gave him), which I learned a couple of days ago, and totally blew my mind, since I thought he didn't like it. XD That, and I've tried getting friends hooked before, to no avail, because 'they don't like what they can't understand'.

So I sent him what I had. >_>

However, I want to send him other JRock artists that are similar, and some that he would probably also like if he liked Dir en grey that well.

EDIT: *sigh.* I'm not trying to be forceful at all. Hell, I know that Japanese music isn't superior to any other sort of music out there. I'm just trying to share what I love with my friends. If they like it, that's great. If they don't, that's fine too. All I'm trying to do is share, and hope that they'll find something they like. (And with my friend that likes the Dir en grey, it's a trade, he's sending me stuff as well to check out in return.) That's all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have a good idea of what to send.

(Topic locked because I got the info I needed.)

Yumeko

Okay...well for the dude that liked Dir en grey despite the language barrier, I suggest introduce him to similar bands.  GazettE would be a great one.  There's also Girugamesh, Merry (he might like them), UnsraW, and he might also like some of Hyde's solo stuff as well like Nightmare's recent stuff.  If I had to pick one I'd say GazettE is your next best bet.

For the other people that can't get past the language, I'd try bands that sound like or close to American bands/singers.  I'd also pick singers that can sing in english good as well.  I'm not sure what kind of music they like; so here are some suggestions...

Abingdon Boy School (sounds very American and Takanori sings in english pretty good)
Hyde (his solo stuff is very good and he sings in english decent enough)
Dong Bang Shin Ki (they are a kpop group but I've found a lot of their more upbeat/dance type songs win over a lot of people and they're really cute ;D )
L'arc en ciel (maybe)
LM.C (they have a sort of American sound, they might like them and they're very fun)
M-FLO (Jpop/hiphop and Verbal's english is perfect and I find a lot of their songs my family likes; they're fun and win a lot of people over)
Se7en (korean pop/r&b artist who is VERY good and putting an english album out here very soon)
The TRAX (Korean rock/pop group that is also picking up fame in japan and the lead singer sings in english VERY good.  I used to relate their older music to Linkin Park but now they are more ballads)
Utada Hikaru (born here, sings and speak english perfectly, very nice music)

EDIT: if you don't have any DBSK; I just uploaded their entire discography.
drawing by me...

Culo

There's also Oblivion Dust and FAKE?, that guy sings like a native english speaker... well I think he is.
Fag who reads

Clockwork Heart

@Yumeko - *facepalm* I totally forgot about Gazette.
I was thinking of Girugamesh and UnsraW as well. I would have never thought of Merry, but that does sound like something he would like.
Haven't listened to Nightmare in a while, and I don't have anything recent of theirs. And I don't have any of Hyde's solo work anymore... I lost what little I had when I changed computers, and I doubt I have it saved onto a disc. I will look, though. XD

As for the other stuff, I might try M-FLO with another friend of mine, since he seems to be into hip-hop.
I'll check out the DBSK. I'm not sure if any of my friends would like it, since they seem to be either into rock/metal or hip-hop/rap... but I might. XD
I also have some Se7en and LM.C, and I know I have an ABS single, and a track of theirs from a tribute album to Buck-Tick.
I'll have to look for my Laraku stuff, and I don't have Utada Hikaru or The TRAX.

@Naja - I do have Oblivion Dust. As for FAKE?... I'll have to check. And the singer does sound like he could speak English very well, which surprised me when I heard one of their songs for the first time.

Alice the Sister

I've had that same problem before as well. Some people in high school even used "At least I listen music in english!" as an insult to me. :(

For suggestions....if he likes Dir en grey I think you should let him listen to ARES. They're a korean band, but they're pretty amazing. Maybe you should start of relatively easy. You know, maybe some Pierrot later on or something.

When it comes to trying to "hook" someone on Japanese music I usually try to find an equivalent of what they listen to in their own language. It's usually possible, but not always...unfortunately.

Your friend that is into hip hop might be able to get into Rip Slyme or Teriyaki Boyz a little bit better. Let them listen to Teriyaki Boyz new single, it has Kanye West on that track. If they can get into that, I'm sure they can get into other stuff. Also, and the teriyaki boyz's latest album has different tracks produced by some very well known producers like Beastie Boys, Cornelius, Cut Chemist, Daft Punk, Dan the Automator, DJ Premier, DJ Shadow, Just Blaze, Mark Ronson, and The Neptunes. My personal favorites being Dan the Automator, Dj Shadow, Cornelius, Beastie Boys, and Daft Punk.

I'm not too hot on M-flo, but I don't see a problem with letting them try it. You should also let them listen to Rather Unique. I heard them on the radio once. Good stuff.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

signal to noise

definitely Gazette and Girugamesh. have them give Alice Nine a try too. and 12012.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

×SpacePirate Doll×

Quote from: Naja on February 15, 2007, 03:54:25 PM
There's also Oblivion Dust and FAKE?, that guy sings like a native english speaker... well I think he is.

Yeah, he's British and Japanese, cool no?
He's fluent in both langauges

;D

I love FAKE? if anyone could upload more from them, they'll have my eternal gratitude.

As for the topic...
The bands people have mentioned before are good suggestion.

With the Dir en Grey dude, suggest D'espairs Ray to him.
I notice alot of Diru fans are into them as well.

ELLEGARDEN is a good band to show to non-jrock people, the english is nearly perfect and it has catchy-as-hell songs.

It all depends, I think, on the person you're trying to persuade into jrock.

Cause if they're into already metal and rock, that would be easy(because some jrock bands have almost english/euro metal-esque sound to them).

The harder ones are the ones into more mainstream stuff x_x
but M-Flo is a good starting thing... anyone could get hooked on them xD

evlon

Hmm for the Dir en grey guy, I guess it also depends on which "era" the song he liked belonged to since Diru had been so polymorphic with their music. How about lynch? They sort of gave me the same feeling as Diru the 1st time I heard them.

For the hiphop people, you might want to try Dragon Ash (not sure are they still active though). They sound something like a mix between hiphop and rock. I got their Harvest album which I can up if anyone's interested.
枯れない花は美しくて...

BLame8008

OoOo some people already listed some great bands.

1. Gazette (as mentioned before)
2. MUCC (they definitely have an American sound at times)
3. 12012 (they're just GOOD)
4. Merry [Merii] (need I say more?)
5. Miyavi (heh, but Miyavi in which period? That would depend on your friend)

signal to noise

Quote from: BLame8008 on February 17, 2007, 06:31:00 AM
OoOo some people already listed some great bands.

1. Gazette (as mentioned before)
2. MUCC (they definitely have an American sound at times)
3. 12012 (they're just GOOD)
4. Merry [Merii] (need I say more?)
5. Miyavi (heh, but Miyavi in which period? That would depend on your friend)

oh yeah i forgot to mention MUCC. but i totally would not say Miyavi. i havent been into japanese music for tooooo long and i still hate Miyavi's crap.  try Gackt's "Redemption". c'mon it was in Dirge of Cerberus.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Formless

Can I ask why one would try to hook others onto J-rock? I mean, I don't see its point. If they don't want to get into it, that's their choice. Some people just like to understand what's being said.

If they express an interest, that's one thing, but trying to force it on others just kind of seems like "Hey, Japanese music is superior." when that's completely untrue. It's just different, for the most part.

KUON

Just hook people on good music. Language/genre doesn't matter dude.

Jau_Peacecraft

here's a really useful tip:

clearly separate your suggestions as what you LIKE (what you think sounds good), and what others like (suggesting that the band and/or sound has more universal appeal than just yourself).

trust me: takes some thinking but its useful if you use it.

Alice the Sister

I found that out the hard way. Just because you're obsessed with Hikaru Utada and Judy and Mary doesn't mean your son will be in love with them as well. My dad and I have completely different tastes. If I tried to get him "hooked" on Japanese music I don't think it would've worked. Luckily for us we were both introduced to Japanese music the same way via Otakon having those segments where they show a lot of PVs for japanese bands. We have both very different tastes, but we still like Japanese music.

I somewhat agree with everyone who's saying "Why hook on Jrock?". I mean really, music is music. You shouldn't be so concerned with addicting everyone to music from just one country. You can expose them to it, and if they don't like it then that's their problem.

I have a radio show, a tracker, and a rotation site all where I upload music to people. I love sharing music with people, but I don't think it would be proper motivation to share only with prospects on hooking someone to listen to the same music as me. While it's nice to have friends who have the same interests as you, theres much more to music that just one country. I enjoy exposing music to people, but what they do after they hear it is up to them.

I mean theres nothing wrong with going to a friend, "Hey friend B, you should listen to this mix CD i made you!" but it might be a little childish to be like, "Here friend B, this is Japanese music. You should listen to Japanese music or else you're closeminded end of story..."

You know what I mean? XD

I gave you a lot of suggestions trying to help you out, but all I ask is that you have the right intentions. Music is supposed to be about many things. One of those things is being able to form an opinion about it by yourself. Another is music is supposed to be something fun. I know with some of my friends they wouldn't listen just because I told them it was Japanese. It like...carries that stigma with it. You know, because it's from JP means it's "wild and different" but it's very capable of being just like any other style from any other country (albeit with a funny accent if it's a cover song!)

So...good luck...and remember if you go about this the wrong you might annoy your friends if you actually try to "hook them on jrock". Because like formless said, you might be shoving it down their through impolitely without even realizing it.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

idolcrash

Ignore all the other shitty posts, and introduce them to good bands:

Boredoms
Zeni Geva
Melt-Banana
The Gerogerigegege (that is, if they like bands comprised of a gay crossdresser and an exhibitionist that masturbates onstage that met doing scat performances together at an S&M bar)
Zion Punch (hey, I had to)
BBQ Chickens
Masonna
Mind of Asian
Afrirampo
GISM

Most of these bands are actually more popular in the west (for good reason) than the shitty VK bands, and regularly tour both America and Europe in addition to Japan (especially Melt-Banana, which is getting prepared for another US tour to promote their upcoming album)