News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Japanese Rap and Hip-Hop

Started by Alice the Sister, November 07, 2007, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice the Sister

I'm only familiar with the likes of Rip Slyme and Teriyaki Boyz. So suffice it to say, I've only heard some of the... Well, the kind that doesn't beat itself up trying to be "gangsta" or any superficial cliche stuff. I'm fully aware that this is primarily a J-rock discussion site.  :-*

However, I feel that Japanese rap is a relatively untapped resource by overseas fans. If you can give it a chance, you might like some of it. But then again, some of it will be just as uninspiring as the Western music we're obviously trying to escape from by hiding in this corner of the internet.

It's fun for parties, it's fun for car stereos. I like some of it. But my knowledge is limited.

I have heard that Korea has a pretty decent rap scene as well, but I don't know much about that either.

What do you guys feel about Japanese Rap? What bands have you heard? If you don't listen to it, is it because Western music has ruined the genre for you, or something else?

Serious music discussion thread, ike ike!
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

カレン

I like Rip Slyme and Teriyaki Boyz as well, and from TB I was introduced to Wise and he is my absolute favorite.

I also liked Kick the Can Crew, and Dragon Ash back when they were still rap.

And on the poppier female side of hip-hop, I absolutely adore Namie Amuro (well when she actually does hip hop...)

Korean rap: Drunken Tiger, my best friend's favorite group ever. They sound more "gangsta" rap than the above.

Chinese rap: my guilty pleasure Edison Chen. He's got some really unique beats but mostly I just laugh at him.

I think what I like more about non-Western rap is that you can appreciate the music without having to sit through the lyrics. Well that's pretty much why I like music in other languages in general.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Do As Eternity 6

mhuhahaha i love japanese Hip-hop ...there used to be an awesome j-urban forum i used to frequent (and was a reviewer at) but it's gone now T.T we really need another one me thinks since it's hard to find a lot of artist stuff. (also because i no longer have alot of stuff *laments*

I like Shing02,nujabes, DABO, Doberman INC., m-flo, Sphere of Influence, NITRO MICROPHONE UNDERGROUND, XBS, KReva, MCU, Kick the can crew. dragon ash, teriyaki boyz, rip slyme, nobodyknows+ heartsdales (from before their 3rd album...cuz they started going down since then), NORISIAM-X (best japanese female rapper ever), Bennie k , ya-kyim, namie amuro too though i guess i'd categorize her more RnB though she does venture into hip-hop especialy when they did suite chic, in this case i'd also mention crystal kay, thela aoyama, yoshika, melody., ARIA/asuka ), gagle, king kiddra, zebbra, and of course more.

Korean rappers of course drunken tiger but also epik high,1tym and jinusean are my loves

as for western rap i'm not turned off from it ...there are alot of great western acts you just have to go underground for them Y.Y mainstream hip-hop now is more so about being crunk or "gangsta" rap and it's become uber repetive and crap. shame it wasn't always that way...but there are definately still greats out there you just have to look...even among the more popular ones too there are a few gems.

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

signal to noise

Teriyaki Boyz are the shit. Heartbreaker is such an awesome song. can anyone upload that album? or should i properly request it?

for actual hiphop thats the only group from japan im familiar with. of course i also dig the hiphop in all the okinawa bands (Orange Range, FLOW, older HandMC).

on another note, who the hell are those rapper dudes in the Maximum The Hormone video??
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Alice the Sister

I can possibly upload it. Though it depends if it's on a Hard Drive of mine that didn't crash XD. I think I might have a download copy of it somewhere around here.

Modulate God

I'm all out of lunch!

Mega 8Ball was the beginning and the end of Japanese hip-hop.

Alice the Sister

You seriously shouldn't judge Japanese hip-hop based on Mega8ball.

Tetsu seems to have learned his lesson anyways...

Yumeko

M-Flo, Heartsdales, SOUL'd OUT...I like them

Although, if I'm going to listen to Asian hip-hop or R&B or whatever...Korea has the best of that.

As for Western rap/hip-hop/R&B...what's mainstream has ruined it for me.  I can't get into crunk and gangsta rap ^^  Although I do like Black Eyed Peas; they seem to find a good middle with pop and hip-hop/rap...I like stuff that sounds fun and positive when it comes to that genre of music.
drawing by me...

Vessicator

R&B was good in the early 2000's. Craig David and Usher, baby. But then Omarion and Ne-yo aren't that bad either. As for rap, mainstream was never good (except Notorious B.I.G.); underground rap is quite different from your everyday "get crunk with ho's" shit churned out by crappy artists.

I like Quruli and Teriyaki Boyz. I also liked when Pharrell Williams and Bubba Sparxxx did their respective gigs in Japan.

I don't care what anyone else says; when Jay Chou raps, it's kinda cool.
Edison Chen's arms are really short. That's why he always has his hands in his pockets in photoshoots. Though without him, Cantonese boys would still be girly fags.

But. He. Can't. Smile. It's more of a :\

非難GO-GO > バクチク

Korea does have the rest of Asia owned by thier Hip-Hop/R'n'B/soul/rap by a longshot.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

Yumeko

^ well, I haven't listened to music from every place.  But it does seem like Korea gets more attention for it.
drawing by me...

Do As Eternity 6

I think korean hip-hop is a lot more popular than japan's though i wouldn't say it's better =P Korea's hip-hop reminds me a like of like western style hip-hop (from maybe a few years prior than the crunk revolution T.T) than japanese does but i love both.  i haven't  listened to enough hip-hop from other asian countries to say so....

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

yah I didn't mean to sound like I was saying Korean hip-hop is the best; but there just seems to be much more there that I like.
drawing by me...

非難GO-GO > バクチク

I used to listen to alot of jp rap/hip=hop and r'n'b. I used to be in love with Zeeebra , Nigo , Heartsdales , m-flo , Illmatic Bhudda mc's , flex flow , master criminal , etc.....

Then I found alot of Thai and Chinese hip-hop and was like , they are pretty good. I really love Taiwan based RnB artists , they can really belt out some notes some of the best RnB song compositions are from Taiwanese artists. Some of my favs are DJ Jerry , Stanley Huang , V Dub , Vaness Wu ,  Jay Chou , Leehom Wang , Nan Quan Ma Ma , Tank , Jason & Lara , Wilber Pan , Show Luo , and Machi.

I then fell in love with Korean artists , they have some of the most innovative mixs and aritsts in the whole game , I came to love thier mix of dance , lounge , rock and rap all to make some interesting music. Some of my favs are SE7EN , Bi/Rain , Lexy , Click-B , Lee Min Woo/M , ITYM , DJ Doc , Casker , Big Bang , Tablo ( from Epic High who is now solo ) , Epic High , Chae Yeon , Jinusean , etc....

I guess you just have to really look and compare. I've been around the musical map alot , so I guess I can be a little biased. I still think alot of Korean artists own alot of hiphop acts I have enjoyed around the world for years.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

joesushi

I have been listening to more Japanese rap/hip-hop and reggae lately. Rip Slyme, Teriyaki Boyz, and nujabes are stand out artists in the genre. I also enjoy the sounds of Shing02, DJ Baku, DJ Krush, Rumi, Fire Ball, and Pushim.

The music of DJ Baku especially stands out. The "Spin Heddz" album released last year took me by surprise. Rumi is another artist was refreshing to listen to. Her 2nd album "Hell me WHY??" is an album I would recommend as well as 'Spin Heddz".