News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Merry

Started by GEWALT, August 15, 2007, 01:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yumeko

Quote from: なお on August 17, 2007, 02:47:20 PM
When I listened to them the first time about two years ago I really had problems to get used to their style of music. But after I got used to them I couldn't help loving them.
Quote from: 埒 on August 17, 2007, 05:53:03 PM
At first I really had to get used to them as well, their style was so unusual that I couldn't handle it at first. But they grew on me so much that I love them for their music. To me bands that are an acquired taste far outshine those you can listen to instantly, since the first kind grows on you while you get tired of the latter rather quickly.

Heh see I don't even understand that myself.  The first time I heard Merry; I liked them right away.  Merry's music is like my life's soundtrack; if it had one :P  Personally; I love stuff that sounds kinda sad or played in a minor key.  And I LOVE jazz and blues.  Plus I used to be in jazz bands; I just love the sound.  I also own all the cowboy bebop soundtracks; the jazz on those albums are awesome!  But there's so many types of jazz; it's hard to define the type I like.  But cool creepy big band jazz is awesome; hence why I love Merry.  I remembering listening to the Peep Show album and wishing there was an instrumental of the whole album; the music is amazing.

Quote from: 마왕 on August 17, 2007, 03:36:52 AMI thought peep show was excellent and it doesnt sound at all like thier previous stuff , it's def the stand out album , not in terms as thier best , but as the most unique. ( I personally think Gendai Stoic or Nu Chemical Rehtoric are still the tops ).

I love the Nu Chemical Rehtoric album too.  It's jazzy; but with that harder edge; which I really thought was unique.  That album and Peep Show are the only ones I own.  There wasn't much Merry merch at JRR.  So I bought those two albums and the Merry towel.
drawing by me...

非難GO-GO > バクチク

I'm going to be offtopic for a sec , and just state yay at your signature.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

Yumeko

^ hehe doesn't it make you want to sing the music to it?  LOL
drawing by me...

ghostface

The new album is so good I instantly became a fan.
Pure aural delight.

Karasu

Finally, tonberry is back!

Anyway, the new album totally exceeded my expectations. Track 4 on the new album though is one of the best songs they've ever done.

ghostface

Quote from: Karasu on November 18, 2007, 08:33:01 PMTrack 4 on the new album though is one of the best songs they've ever done.
Yeah, totally! That guitar riff is godlike. It has an eerie, alienating effect. And I love it when the vocals sort of echo the guitar in those "heyeyey" parts (sorry, I can't hear the lyrics, except paranoia :p).

My favourite song is Saihate no PARADE though. It packs a punch with the punky refrain.
Second favourite is Coq d'or Mama. The trumpet followed by the guitar solo around 1.45-2.00 is crazy!

Anyway, I could go on like this forever since pretty much all songs have interesting parts in them.
It's a great album, probably the best Japanese album to come out this year (out of the bands I follow).

We should do a poll at the end of the year and vote our favourite album of 2007 :)

kachida

i like their LAST SNOW song.

nekki_chibi

Me too.
But I miss their 2004-2006 songs like Lost generation or pltc (single ver. of course...), and probably this kind of Merry is gone :\

Karasu

I don't really hear a change in their songs, they're one of the few bands that have consistantcy, without getting boring. Yea Arch, this album might be one of the best albums of 2007, but I know what my fav. album is this year lmao. You prolly know too :P