News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Visual Kei is not Japan's Nu-metal?

Started by Alice the Sister, May 16, 2007, 02:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vessicator

Quote from: Naja on May 16, 2007, 06:06:23 AM
Quote from: Alice the Sister on May 16, 2007, 02:48:38 AM
I was listening to a song by Babylon the other day and the guitars and the vocals reminded me of how some of the workings were on some numetal songs.

just out of curiosity, may I know which song?
about babylon's lyrics, they usually tend to be more in the romantic side, pretty vk cliche. blame takuma on that. anyway sometimes he comes up with some interesting lyrics. but i don't seem them related to american nu metal.
anyway about visual kei being like nu metal, I don't think so... as everyone said, vk is not a music genre, in the same band you can have 10 songs all with different styles and genres. also in terms of scene or fanbase, mmm vk haves mostly teenager girls who look after the bishies, and a mature audience who maybe dont go to concerts too often but still listen to the bands they used to listen to in their youth (back in the day, visual kei wasn't limited to girls only).
i think in a way, you could compare vk to numetal because of the amount of teenagers listening to it... and more because to be part of some sort of scene rather than liking the actual music.

I think you mean post-hardcore/anything with '-core' at the end: emocore, metalcore, grindcore, deathcore, corecore etc. I've never known scene kiddies to listen to nu-metal; Linkin Park is more of a guilty pleasure if anything.

Alice the Sister

mathcore?

XD

Anyways the song was

Babylon - Hana no miyako, ware, chirikeri

Don't ask...
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

Culo

oh yeah, the good ol' Hana no miyako :P i remember the first time i listened to it back in 2004... i was loving it to death during the intro then the crunchy guitars came in, Takuma rapping and I was like "WTF...".
I like it now, especially the chorus and bridge have some very delicate arrangements which I have never heard in nu metal songs (not that I have listened to many anyway...), but I know what you mean.
but personally i wouldnt call babylon nu-metal... anyway i wouldnt catogirze them in any genre, but if I had to, i'd put them under hard rock or something like that... most of their songs are either heavy metal influenced or punk influenced, or a mix of both.
Fag who reads

Do As Eternity 6

simple answer: no. *basically for the same reason vessicator said*

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

I've always compared VK to glam/glitter rock of the 70's/80's.  Glam rock was also confused as a genre when really it was a style.  You had David Bowie, Kiss, Elton John, Alice Cooper, Queen, and a lot of different bands.  It even resurfaced years later in a style called Neo-glam.  Anywho what made glam rock what it was was the theatrics; just like VK.  And just like VK you had adrogynous fashion and all kinds of things very similar to VK is now.

It's not easy to compare VK to anything non japanese though because the cultures are very different and especially in Japan; it seems japanese culture shows up strongly in -everything-.  But from what I know about VK and Glam Rock, they're quite similar and so was the fanbase in some aspect; although I think Glam Rock attracted WAY more male fans then VK does.  I've seen quite a few music videos from some glam rock artists that I would say they are somewhat similar to VK PVs. 

Anywho, that's my opinion.  I've never thought VK was like numetal.  I've always compared it to glam rock and when I tell people about VK if they ask, is that its like glam rock.  Because as much as people (especially guys I find) will act weirded out by VK fashion and how they look like 'women'; those same people usually like bands such as Kiss, Queen, David Bowie and or Alice Cooper.
drawing by me...

klavierbarrette

^ except they look a LOT more like women LOL

comes with the asian features tho.  bowie can pull off a pretty good looking lady.

KUON

Quote: "I can't be wapanese if I'm already asian :)"

I rofld.

凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍

^ that sounds like lovetricks pathetic sentence... pshhh

uanyone can be wapanese if they arent japanese. W stands for wannabe..DUHH
ramrod - Man of ur wetdreams

Tsunetako

Quote from: asukayakuza1234 on May 22, 2007, 12:24:05 PM
^ that sounds like lovetricks pathetic sentence... pshhh

uanyone can be wapanese if they arent japanese. W stands for wannabe..DUHH

Are you like, 11 or something?

Alice the Sister

W?

STANDS FOR DOUBLE YOU.

best group ever.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

odoroboujohn

Visual, to me, was an artistic movement for freedom of expression.
Nu Metal is metal. I think, since, we were approaching a new millenia, it was solely a marketing gimmick.
So... V-kei wins by forfeit!

Livin' like a bug ain't easy