News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Who's the fifth member in the SUPER BAND? Your predictions...

Started by Yumeko, January 08, 2007, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yumeko

Quote from: maru on January 11, 2007, 10:00:11 PM
am I damn stupid that i cant play bass(skillfull) although I play guitar?  >:(
yah, like I compare bass to the bari sax because the parts they get are the same.  And alto sax and guitar are alike in that they both get the melodies and stuff.  Also, in school, it's recommended you play alto before you switch to bari sax.  If you can handle a more difficult instrument that plays faster music then you can handle something that really only gets quarters, eighths, and whole notes the majority of the time.
drawing by me...

Formless

Quote from: maru on January 11, 2007, 10:00:11 PM
am I damn stupid that i cant play bass(skillfull) although I play guitar?  >:(

No, you're not. Bass can be just as difficult to play as guitar, what with trying to play slap in alternating 32nd to 64th notes, with some possible harmonics tossed in. Generalizing and saying that "knowing how to guitar skillfully = automatically being awesome" at bass is silly. Knowing how to play a guitar can help you familiarize with playing bass, but it's not the same thing and doesn't immediately make you super skilled at it.

Yumeko

^ I agree.  When I switched to bari I had to make some changes and get used to it.  The weight, the different amount of air that had to be pushed through the instrument, etc.  However, overall it was a smooth transition and didn't take much time to get used to it.  That's why I said that switching from guitar to bass would be easy.  But I didn't say "knowing how to play guitar skillfully = automatically being awesome".  I just said -if- you can play guitar; then you can play bass.  Anywho...it's not a big deal.  I really have no idea -who- Yoshiki will pick.  And I'm not ruling anyone out quite yet.  I just have this feeling that whoever is the last member to be added will be someone -very- well known amongst jrock fans.
drawing by me...

Ito

'm really surprised no one has mentioned Jiro of Glay.
He would fit in perfectly, especially since GLAY has close relations with Yoshiki.  Not to mention Glay's popularity.  I'm not a major fan of Glay, I still really like most of their stuff, but I really think that Jiro would have a good chance at being the fifth member

Formless

Quote from: Ito on January 12, 2007, 06:19:42 AM
'm really surprised no one has mentioned Jiro of Glay.
He would fit in perfectly, especially since GLAY has close relations with Yoshiki.  Not to mention Glay's popularity.  I'm not a major fan of Glay, I still really like most of their stuff, but I really think that Jiro would have a good chance at being the fifth member

Oh, that's a good thought!~ Jiro is quite a talented bassist. I almost forgot GLAY was on Extasy back in the day.

Reiko

Oh man first I forget about Hitoki then Jiro... lol.. ok  Jiro goes on my list as well lol

Yumeko

Oh yah, I'm not a fan of Glay, but my friend is obsessed with Jiro LOL.  I honestly thought of Glay, but I couldn't think of who the bassist was so I kinda just skipped past Glay.  But that's a good guess.  He's going on my list or predictions too.
drawing by me...

maru

glay-play would be a downgrade!!!  >:( don't wanna see even one glay member with miyavi >_<" nono! *marked in my brain and ears: glay's the worse version of laruku!*

PS: er, i also can play some stupid powerchord licks with bass, but when it comes to slap (on a-guitar I can handly it ... at least a lil bit XD) or even that smothness and mellowness i'll pass v_v"

Formless

Quote from: maru on January 12, 2007, 07:44:09 PM
glay-play would be a downgrade!!!  >:( don't wanna see even one glay member with miyavi >_<" nono! *marked in my brain and ears: glay's the worse version of laruku!*

PS: er, i also can play some stupid powerchord licks with bass, but when it comes to slap (on a-guitar I can handly it ... at least a lil bit XD) or even that smothness and mellowness i'll pass v_v"

Actually, all the members of GLAY are very talented. Just because you don't like them for.. whatever unjustified reason, doesn't mean they're not talented. Hisashi and Takuro are probably some of the best guitarists out there in Jrock. Most of the time, most GLAY haters haven't even listened to a GLAY album. They just do it because they're popular and it's the cool thing to do.

marky

Glay guys are still toghether and they're very busy, that's why I don't think one of them could join gackt-yoshiki band....

maru

well I listened to the frustrated and toki no shizuku ... In my mind Glay songs are so "simple structed" ... I don't mean the songtext ('cause I dont understand  :P) but the music is so ... er, ... cant explain, no song was something special and new for me, demo- thats what I expect XD ok three songs I like: missing you, tomadoi and two bell silence ... as simple as they are!

Formless

Quote from: maru on January 13, 2007, 01:03:44 AM
well I listened to the frustrated and toki no shizuku ... In my mind Glay songs are so "simple structed" ... I don't mean the songtext ('cause I dont understand  :P) but the music is so ... er, ... cant explain, no song was something special and new for me, demo- thats what I expect XD ok three songs I like: missing you, tomadoi and two bell silence ... as simple as they are!

Well, again, just because they're simple structured doesn't mean they're not a talented group. Gackt's music has been pretty simple structured as well for the past.. 3 albums, but he's in the group. I've never found Miyavi's song structures to be that complicated either. But that doesn't make them untalented in my eyes.

maru

Quote from: Formless on January 13, 2007, 01:06:50 AM

Well, again, just because they're simple structured doesn't mean they're not a talented group. Gackt's music has been pretty simple structured as well for the past.. 3 albums, but he's in the group. I've never found Miyavi's song structures to be that complicated either. But that doesn't make them untalented in my eyes.

Im a guitarist ... well, and so i might "see" songs with other ears XD! Which means; I particularly value the guitar & bass riffs, licks, sollos aso. the most, more than only: rocks this song? You see, I WANT to hear something creative, something i didn't expect or wasn't played in past, like the (most) mainstream-scale of C/G/F major-chart-music. that makes the difference and the recognition! Glay songs dont give me that! OK miyavis pop albs are also simple minded, but the acoustic one is very unique and were new and crazy when he first comes up with that a-gita-splapping and thats the point!

Glays bass player might be talented, but when he always plays such things he cant use his talent and show off! XD ... er, now im out of words XD ...

PS: WHAT about Yukke from MUCC?!?! hes one of worlds best bass players, for sure, he gots the feeling! yeah  ;) :) ;D

fangy89

Hey, quick question: Does anyone even know what sound this super band is going to have? Wouldn't the bassist have to have a particular style in order to be a part of all this? I mean, yeah, talented artists can basically play any style but it all comes down to preference...and with Gackt and Yoshiki in the band it looks like it'll eventually turn into a power-battle and the rest of the band will have no choice but to follow, at least as far as musical direction goes. That's just what I think though...*shrugs*.

Formless

PS: WHAT about Yukke from MUCC?!?! hes one of worlds best bass players, for sure, he gots the feeling! yeah  ;) :) ;D

Yukke's good, but I wouldn't call him one of the best bass players in the world. I think Ka~yu of Janne da Arc is far more talented, and a better candidate, as he plays more varied styles of music.