News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

D is going major

Started by Yumeko, December 22, 2007, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hirose

Quote from: 18:29 on January 04, 2008, 01:19:07 PM
Quote from: o x i d e on January 04, 2008, 11:16:15 AM
Quote from: hirose on January 04, 2008, 03:40:48 AM
I just wouldnt like to see Asagi wearing backstreet boys clothes or singing hiphop which i doubt will happen...

I agree  ;D

I just had an ammusing image of asagi signing D away to Jimusho Entertainment.
ok now that was creepy

nijuu_rasen

Quote from: Modulate God on January 04, 2008, 04:17:46 PM
'bout damn time. D is one of the most deserving indies bands out there. Hopefully now they can get more attention.

trouble is will they change because they're not indies anymore? I hate to think that bands change because they become major but Kagrra(,) are a perfect example. If you look at from Oukaranman (2003) to now, their music's lost most of what I thought they kinda began as CROW/Kagrra. I kinda hope D don't change, 'cos for me it'll become a bit more difficult supporting them if they start changing and I don't like the change. If it's a positive thing tho, i'm all for it. Plus either way i'll end up forking out for their stuff no matter what :P (as I still do with Kagrra, lol)

seiryuu

D going major, bad news to me u.u
Most of the time when a VK band goes major, their music gets worse.

Indies bands will always be the best to me because they express what they really want to.

wonderword

Quote from: seiryuu on January 10, 2008, 10:31:32 PM
D going major, bad news to me u.u
Most of the time when a VK band goes major, their music gets worse.

Indies bands will always be the best to me because they express what they really want to.

Or they just play what they know will sell and get them fans, and then once they go major and get big they start playing what they actually WANT to.

See: Dir en grey.

nekki_chibi

Quote from: wonderword on January 11, 2008, 11:34:45 AM
Or they just play what they know will sell and get them fans, and then once they go major and get big they start playing what they actually WANT to.

See: Dir en grey.
Major labels don't care about what band wants to play, they more care about fitting bands sound into current market
See: Mucc, Miyavi, Duel Jewel as very sad examples, and D'espairs ray (road to marilyn manson), gazette (with r'n'b mixed to alternative rock) and certainly, recent diru album - it's well produced, but it is very influenced.

kachida

shogu

You can't really compare the japanese music industry to the american one and start complaining about sellouts, mainstream and such.

I can't really see how a independent and new band, trying to spread their music and earn a loyal fanbase, experiments a lot with their music, caring only with what they want to do instead of what others want them to.
Proof of that is how people like to hate bands who drops visual or try new things than the regular v-kei sound. And that's when the whole "sellout" discussion cames to surface.

This makes me wonder who is really free: major bands prisioners of the labels or indie bands prisioners of the fans.

Yumeko

^ good point Shogu.

Personally; if people want to look at major artists in general; I would say major artists get to do more of what they want because they've already established a strong and loyal fanbase and so the fans aren't really going to drop them if they put out an experimental album that sucks.
drawing by me...

埒々

Aside from that, I heard Ayabie is going major too.
Also, Gazette reverted back to indies status almost six months ago after the release of Stacked Rubbish, so I think they won't follow that R'n'B hard rock style anymore.

Yumeko

^ they could've switched because they didn't like their label but anywho, the rap was only in like two songs; so I don't know why people freak out about it.  I actually thought their intro track to stacked rubbish was great.
drawing by me...

nekki_chibi

Quote from: shogu on January 11, 2008, 11:50:13 PM
You can't really compare the japanese music industry to the american one and start complaining about sellouts, mainstream and such.
as far as I know, Japanese music industry is second after american in terms of size; so why should it be different? Market laws work equally everywhere. btw, most of jpop, released everyday, is totally uninspired shit but - number of fans could beat the same of, say, Gackt's.
Quote from: shogu on January 11, 2008, 11:50:13 PM
This makes me wonder who is really free: major bands prisioners of the labels or indie bands prisioners of the fans.
No one is really, but for major bands, their management is dependent of marketing, promotion, distribution, organization and production systems in _much_ greater degree, than indie bands'. That's why they can not afford a luxury to make a fault with band's style and bands commercial success within it's potential auditory (that is no longer decided by band itself - label takes it). That's why, the band will be allowed to experiment only until it fits current trends or creates new, potentially successull, or it won't be allowed to do anything experimental at all.
When band goes major, it's auditory most probably changes. For example, Kaggra and lots of other, let's say, good major bands, only developed a new, n00b friendly visual image; 12012 and lots of, say, shitty bands, changed completely, leaving their old auditory off the boat.

Quote from: 埒々 on January 12, 2008, 10:54:26 AM
Aside from that, I heard Ayabie is going major too.
it's true, their new label is http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/music/ (...speaking of mainstream, ahem)
Also, Gazette reverted back to indies status almost six months ago after the release of Stacked Rubbish, so I think they won't follow that R'n'B hard rock style anymore.
Source, please?.. I heard the same about Kaggra with the only difference - PS Company belongs (as it was said) to King Records, so, literally, the bands are in the same hands as before.

Kyο

Hopefully they won't follow it anymore.. Art drawn by vomit made me want to get out my do-rag and Phat Farm shoes, holla.
I like going to potlucks and playing backgammon.
32/M/skate park if u wanna cyber.

埒々

Quote from: nekki_chibi on January 12, 2008, 06:46:36 PM
Source, please?.. I heard the same about Kaggra with the only difference - PS Company belongs (as it was said) to King Records, so, literally, the bands are in the same hands as before.
VKDB lists them as "indies".
And they're a pretty reliable source.

nekki_chibi

Alice the Sister

Shitty VK bands can't go major, what the fuck are you on?
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY