News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Japanese ID3

Started by TeamAwesome, December 03, 2007, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamAwesome

I love nothing more than to have my Japanese songs tagged and filenamed in their appropriate Japanese characters. However, I have found that every time I reformat Windows and sometimes just for no reason, a lot of my files RENAME themselves into that lovely gibberish crap that Windows is infamous for displaying instead of asian characters. I have found that some band's (and only those bands... others are unaffected) manage to get their filenames retagged.

let's take MUCC - Utagoe for example here. I ripped it with Japanese ID3 tags, but the filename wasn't Japanese, so I changed it to make the directory/filename look like this MUCC ---> 謡声(ウタゴエ) ---> 01. 謡声(ウタゴエ). I reformat Windows, nice clean install. I check out my MUCC folder and every Japanese character tagged folder has been changed to corresponding underscores, Utagoe for instance being __(____) ---> 01. __(____).

does this happen to anyone else, can anyone explain why this happens? It's incredibly infuriating. I've changed most of my tags back to romaji, but I really don't want to go through all my songs to change the tags back.

Username

1. Install the Japanese language thing.
2. Stop reformatting so often.
Soulseek name: Cactuar

TeamAwesome

I have the language pack, otherwise ALL the songs would do it. But only a certain few do. I don't know whether Winamp is to blame or not (as it has unicode compatibility issues).

I don't format THAT often ^^"" and it seems MUCC is the only band that has their folder names renamed. My Girugamesh ID3 tags have never stuffed up. Is there some detail I'm missing about mp3s here? Why would this frustratingly wonderful problem target only specific bands?

lovetrick

Glamour

This tends to happen when your settings in Regional and Language Options are set for English. Sure, you can have Japanese language support, but all of your applications are most likely designed for the English language.

To fix this, you'd change the Language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese. This will change the font of your Windows interface and many things may be displayed incorrectly. I use AppLocale if I ever need to utilize the Japanese language for certain programs (like SoulSeek).

If you're able to tolerate a Japanese interface, by all means. But, switch back to English after retagging all your songs in any way in the Japanese mode, and your files will be displayed in gibberish again.
Σ(°Д°) ~ 桜色の女神 ~ [神羅]。☆ SLSK: Glamour Parfait
LJ - niji_ningyou

カレン

My OS is set to Japanese for non-unicode programs, and my interface is in English. The only annoying thing is that accented letters (like in Spanish and whatnot) come up as random kanji. Other than that, there's no problem.

But as Glamour said, if you switch back for any reason you will most likely have to retag all your files again.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

baka_neko

Quote from: カレン on December 10, 2007, 12:05:15 AM
My OS is set to Japanese for non-unicode programs, and my interface is in English. The only annoying thing is that accented letters (like in Spanish and whatnot) come up as random kanji. Other than that, there's no problem.

But as Glamour said, if you switch back for any reason you will most likely have to retag all your files again.

dont forget the \ symbol being changed to ¥ in windows explorer and a few other places XD

TeamAwesome

Quote from: Glamour on December 09, 2007, 11:20:54 PM
This tends to happen when your settings in Regional and Language Options are set for English. Sure, you can have Japanese language support, but all of your applications are most likely designed for the English language.

To fix this, you'd change the Language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese. This will change the font of your Windows interface and many things may be displayed incorrectly. I use AppLocale if I ever need to utilize the Japanese language for certain programs (like SoulSeek).

If you're able to tolerate a Japanese interface, by all means. But, switch back to English after retagging all your songs in any way in the Japanese mode, and your files will be displayed in gibberish again.

That is probably what caused it. As I had my Language for non-Unicode programs set to Japanese on my previous couple of installs purely for last.fm, which seems to have resolved it's issues. Thanks for the help ^^

CleverSleazoid

Very simple: Keep the filenames romaji and the tags in japanese (kanji/hiragana/katakana). Having japanese filenames are a real problem since most programs can't deal with them and unless you do use a fully japanese language OS, having files in japanese will always be a problem.

TeamAwesome

Quote from: CleverSleazoid on January 02, 2008, 07:28:03 AM
Very simple: Keep the filenames romaji and the tags in japanese (kanji/hiragana/katakana). Having japanese filenames are a real problem since most programs can't deal with them and unless you do use a fully japanese language OS, having files in japanese will always be a problem.

Yeah, I think I'll agree with that. Now if only we could make that a standard ^^""