News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

The french and the symbols

Started by Alice the Sister, November 19, 2007, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signal to noise

Quote from: nekki_chibi on November 20, 2007, 09:57:14 AM
Do envy and Laliene count?))

And there're also Due le quartz, Psycho le Cemu and Celestia Le Ciel, wannabefrench too

yeah i was gonna go "le names count too"
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Champ213

Quote from: Do As Eternity 6 on November 20, 2007, 03:43:54 PM
*also ponders why she had no idea sadie was a girls name >_>*

Dunno if it was intended by the band. But to me it's clearly a girl's name. It always makes me think of "Sexy Sadie" by the Beatles.  :P

Do As Eternity 6

ah i don't listen to the Beatles *hides* but yea i've just never heard that name before and all this time i've been wondering wth is a sadie xD

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

Re: girl names for bands

I didn't actually notice that.  But I will say I shamelessy sought out music by LiZ because my name is Elizabeth and I always go by Liz.  LOL 

Random question...would Elizabeth be written like Erizabesu or Erizabeto?  I know there is a German play called Elizabeth that was subtitled in Japanese and it was written as Erizabeto but I figured that was because Elizabeth was pronounced in German as Elizabet.  End randomness...
drawing by me...

Champ213

Quote from: Yumeko on November 20, 2007, 06:25:27 PM
Random question...would Elizabeth be written like Erizabesu or Erizabeto?  I know there is a German play called Elizabeth that was subtitled in Japanese and it was written as Erizabeto but I figured that was because Elizabeth was pronounced in German as Elizabet.  End randomness...

For the english pronounciation it would be Erizabesu, yes^^
Like here.

Kyο

Quote from: Champ213 on November 20, 2007, 03:55:02 PM
Quote from: Do As Eternity 6 on November 20, 2007, 03:43:54 PM
*also ponders why she had no idea sadie was a girls name >_>*

Dunno if it was intended by the band. But to me it's clearly a girl's name. It always makes me think of "Sexy Sadie" by the Beatles.  :P

I read somewhere that Sadie chose their name because it somehow means/sounds like 'sad' =P
If that's the case, they lose points for word association. But then there's also how they've been influenced by Dir en grey, and Sadie -> La:Sadie's.
I like going to potlucks and playing backgammon.
32/M/skate park if u wanna cyber.

Vessicator

There are two j-rock songs that I know named Raison d'être, and they both suck.

What the hell man. What the hell.

Ayanami

Dir en grey - Raison d'Etre
NIGHTMARE - Raison d'Etre [Single name: Raison d'Etre]

Moi dix Mois's Europe tour was called Raison D'tere too

fill me in, can't be that tough. ^^

Alice the Sister

reason of being is like the literal translation, I think. But usually when they say it they mean like "meaning of life" or they're trying to sound deep or something, I dunno. XD
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

Vessicator

I can't wait for a band to name their song 'Carpe Diem'.

Fuck, why don't they just pick up a French dictionary and pick a few words out of there as the song title.

Champ213

At least 'Carpe Diem' wouldn't be french.

But I'm pretty sure that many band/song names are directly out of a french or english dictionary.

Vessicator

I like Latin. It sounds nice.

VENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

klavierbarrette

veni vidi vici

dude i want my band name to be that

gaijin

i'm french and i think they use french cause it might be cool for them to have a french band name!

it sounds different for them like RENTRER EN SOI, Lareine etc...

but unfortunately most of time the names doesn't mean anything or it's write with wrong letters...

it's kinda funnny for me

i went to japan this summer and a lot of shop or restaurant have french name and some name doesn't mean anything at all ^^ i was surprised 

priest

Quote from: gaijin on December 19, 2007, 04:41:01 PM
i'm french and i think they use french cause it might be cool for them to have a french band name!

it sounds different for them like RENTRER EN SOI, Lareine etc...

but unfortunately most of time the names doesn't mean anything or it's write with wrong letters...

it's kinda funnny for me

I say exactly the same ^^