News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Visual vs "Visual Kei"

Started by Alice the Sister, November 19, 2007, 04:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yumeko

drawing by me...

Alice the Sister

Oh yeah. I forgot about bands like Kabukicho Knight. When I went to Japan a few years ago I wound up with a free mini-album of theirs. I was confused because there was like a schedule of some sort. I figured they were just a bar band of some kind. Back then, I didn't really know about Host Clubs except the concept, so it didn't click. XD
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

baka_neko

Quote from: Karasu on November 20, 2007, 05:00:51 AM
I wouldn't call Visual Kei immature, but what I would call it is shallow and empty, at least from 2002 and now. Before that time, it was theatrical and mezmerizing, and the music had quality, but now it's become almost a franchise and become so refined, that it's not about the theatrics and music, but more about 'how multi-colored can I get?' and 'How pretty can I look, but still "try" to make music that's not even good to begin with?' At least back in the day, the music had substance, had integrity, and now...its hardly that. It's like fast food, taste kinda good coming down, but 30 mins. later, you're in the bathroom shitting it out, feeling disgusted and embarrassed you even had it. Well that's what VK's become. Shit.

Hi "hardcore" fan. You do realize that 90% of pre-2002 vk bands were shit just as 90% of post-2002 vk bands are shit. There will always be good band and always be bad bands. Whether or not a band decides to be "visual" doesn't make them any better or worse. Anyone who needs a reality check on the whole non-visual > visual, just take a look at almost any band on audioleaf. Most of the bands on there aren't visual and sound terrible.

Alice the Sister

The bands that are "too poor" to be Visual, but still want to be VK, usually suck ass cause they're also usually too poor to be talented (in more than one sense of the word poor)

I think perhaps that ones that got popular and gave up being visual, has nothing to do with it. Like, they're popular to a point where they can drop the visuals, right? But just because a band drops the visuals or keeps them, doesn't mean they're music will automatically be good/bad.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

Karasu

Quote from: baka_neko on November 29, 2007, 07:32:22 PM
Quote from: Karasu on November 20, 2007, 05:00:51 AM
I wouldn't call Visual Kei immature, but what I would call it is shallow and empty, at least from 2002 and now. Before that time, it was theatrical and mezmerizing, and the music had quality, but now it's become almost a franchise and become so refined, that it's not about the theatrics and music, but more about 'how multi-colored can I get?' and 'How pretty can I look, but still "try" to make music that's not even good to begin with?' At least back in the day, the music had substance, had integrity, and now...its hardly that. It's like fast food, taste kinda good coming down, but 30 mins. later, you're in the bathroom shitting it out, feeling disgusted and embarrassed you even had it. Well that's what VK's become. Shit.

Hi "hardcore" fan. You do realize that 90% of pre-2002 vk bands were shit just as 90% of post-2002 vk bands are shit. There will always be good band and always be bad bands. Whether or not a band decides to be "visual" doesn't make them any better or worse. Anyone who needs a reality check on the whole non-visual > visual, just take a look at almost any band on audioleaf. Most of the bands on there aren't visual and sound terrible.

Uhh, ok?

Do As Eternity 6

QuoteYou do realize that 90% of pre-2002 vk bands were shit just as 90% of post-2002 vk bands are shit. There will always be good band and always be bad bands. Whether or not a band decides to be "visual" doesn't make them any better or worse. Anyone who needs a reality check on the whole non-visual > visual, just take a look at almost any band on audioleaf. Most of the bands on there aren't visual and sound terrible.

I've always felt that way =/ people are always talking about how the older bands where so much greater but i think they are in no way better than the newer bands. There is crap in both but then again there is good and bad in every genre or period of music. In the end it comes down to matters of opinon i guess. Also i second the point about being visual or not doesn't have anything to do with a band being better or not.

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

klavierbarrette

omg intelligence on tonberry?

agree with above etc

Siniroth

This has been an entire 4-page thread on nothing more than common sense. I'm not sure I'd call that "intelligence," especially with that GazettE trashing on the first page :P

klavierbarrette

^ nah the gazette trash was pretty smart

::)

yuna001

Quote from: Siniroth on December 01, 2007, 12:15:41 AM
This has been an entire 4-page thread on nothing more than common sense. I'm not sure I'd call that "intelligence," especially with that GazettE trashing on the first page :P

Because it's impossible to have a negative opinion about Gazette! RUKI-SAMA ~__________________~;;

signal to noise

The GazettE is the fucking pimp juice. i hope in the PV for Guren they are all dressed like pimps with AV stars all around them. even though some of the members of Gaze are probabllyyyyy gay.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

nekki_chibi

I hope PV for Guren will follow general ideas of Hyena and Filth and the Beauty
I mean, the whole band raped at a football court by a gang of 50 + y.o. tinyeyed fat sararimen

Siniroth

Quote from: Pale Rider on December 01, 2007, 05:21:07 AM

Because it's impossible to have a negative opinion about Gazette! RUKI-SAMA ~__________________~;;

Exactly ;)

yuna001

Quote from: Siniroth on December 01, 2007, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: Pale Rider on December 01, 2007, 05:21:07 AM

Exactly ;)

:P

凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍

fuck what they sound like, as long as guys look good in tight skirts and makeup.
ramrod - Man of ur wetdreams