News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Visual vs "Visual Kei"

Started by Alice the Sister, November 19, 2007, 04:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karasu

lol I dont know why it's being questioned.

Image: form; appearance; semblance

Visual: Optical

For instance, Velvet Revolver has an image, not visuals. Their image is the whole 'badass, rock n roll with my geetar and jack daniels', where as a band like...Malice Mizer is very visual and theatrical with stages, costumes, etc etc.

Does that make sense now?

カレン

Your example basically proved you wrong. How are those two things any different?

I think I know what you're trying to say, that a band concept is more important than image, but the way you stated it makes no sense, lol.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Karasu

I don't see how I was wrong for what I said, perhaps you could elaborate?

klavierbarrette

to me you basically were saying they both had images they were just different. ie one badass, one theatrical.

you just really pointed out what each band's idea or whatever was; it made no sense because we already knew that.

Karasu

I'm using examples because people were not understanding what I said really. What im trying to say is that visual kei bands have more theatrics, and have more shock or elaborate designs, where as a regular band, focuses more on its image that it is portraying.

ghostface

Lol, I kind of get it. Visual is all about the looks and style, image is more about how you want to be perceived.

Like Dir en grey is not visual anymore, but they have themes to their music and performances which create a strong image.

Culo

Fag who reads

klavierbarrette

Quote from: Karasu on November 20, 2007, 09:49:26 PM
I'm using examples because people were not understanding what I said really. What im trying to say is that visual kei bands have more theatrics, and have more shock or elaborate designs, where as a regular band, focuses more on its image that it is portraying.
i can see how they can sort of be different, but also how they can sort of be the same.

i think it comes down to how certain people think about it.

Do As Eternity 6

@primesub7:  well the whole point of the thread i think was to find out what makes makes a visual "visual kei" so the original topic makes since. Now the whole image thing is being put into it but i think image isn't exactly the same as visual but you need visuals to create an image. And in the end i think we may be confusing concept with image.

i wonder if that made sense ...probably not..

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

GEWALT

I think the visual part in visual kei is overrated.

And the current fanbase and bands mostly suck. Good bands leave the scene as fast as they can (lab. for example).

And anyway I am mostly about non vk or borderline vk bands at the moment (VAGERKE,harvest,音鬼,PLASMA JET). I do still like some "visual kei" bands that are active,like √eight ,SUICIDE ALI and ギルガメッシュ. But only a few.

If it comes to visual kei, I rather like the disbanded bands like そろばん/天照/WERKMARE/Uma/カリメロ/AURORA/Variable Messiah/PINK OPAQUE.

Lots of the current VK bands are just lame wannabe pop.

I hope the scene will die and come back again with new stuff.

To be more ontopic:

I think many vk bands rather use the vk image to gain some fanbase as fast as possible. Visual Kei fanbase seems pretty loyal. They should spend more time on the music then the visual part.

I don't count bands like Larc en ciel and mucc as vk bands anymore. They lost their alternative touch(music and visual wise). It's just regular (pop)rock.

Yumeko

I really like VK, I guess the fashion is what really appeals to me since I like to design clothes all the time.  But I'm not so die hard for VK that I'd ignorantly insist all or even most VK bands have substance.  Still, I'm not going to hate VK because everybody else is.  To me, regardless of it's genre or style, if the music is good; I'm going to like it and that's that. 

As far as the topic goes, I don't think there's a difference between visual and visual kei.  It's all visual kei; it just a band can fall anywhere on that spectrum of VK.  They can be super VK lol like Malice Mizer or Versailles or whatever, or they can hardly be VK such as say Gackt or L'arc en ciel who really don't do the costume thing as much.

As far as something to hate that is guaranteed to be crap...host bands; especially the ones that imitate VK; as if that genre doesn't have a hard enough time proving it's worth.  I just recently learned what they are and I checked out a couple...they really irk me.
drawing by me...

Alice the Sister

BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

Vessicator

カレン

誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで