News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

What Visual Kei truly is...

Started by 夜の女王様, October 11, 2007, 04:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do As Eternity 6

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

カレン

Quote from: Vessicator on October 18, 2007, 10:38:40 PM
And now I don't know why you're on the rag about this. If being culturally aware of foreign underground scenes celebrated by teenage girls makes you feel better about yourself, that's fine with me.

Haha okay, your defending of what punk is doesn't make you any less of an ass? Because you obviously know so much about punk, that's important to you. So your understanding of punk somehow trumps my understanding of visual? Right. Keep trying to call me out on my idiocy. You really don't have a claim, by the way.

I never said I know anything about you as a person. I know your internet type of arguing. I see it all the time. Acting like an asshole to make someone else feel stupid so they don't actually have to make any sort of a real point.

You can continue if you want. I'm bored now. Please, make more assumptions about me I'd love to hear them.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Vessicator

QuoteActing like an asshole to make someone else feel stupid so they don't actually have to make any sort of a real point.

I've stopped already. That's only what you're doing right now. lol

And I never said anything about my understanding of punk trumping your understanding of visual. But I know punk better than you, and vice versa for visual. You think I'm trying to personally attack you now? Come on. You're not as important as ramrod.

If you want to be victimized, go to the Flame Pit. Your feinted patronization won't help you save face here.

「狂気EGOÏSTE」 | Megurujiru

It's more a fashion scene then a musical genre. end of story.
Reverberating noises vibrate humans.

Vessicator

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍

Quote from: Vessicator on October 19, 2007, 02:30:09 AM
QuoteActing like an asshole to make someone else feel stupid so they don't actually have to make any sort of a real point.

I've stopped already. That's only what you're doing right now. lol

And I never said anything about my understanding of punk trumping your understanding of visual. But I know punk better than you, and vice versa for visual. You think I'm trying to personally attack you now? Come on. You're not as important as ramrod.

If you want to be victimized, go to the Flame Pit. Your feinted patronization won't help you save face here.

MY NAME :D! You still love me!
ramrod - Man of ur wetdreams

JX

Visual kei was originally a genre, much like "punk" was once a very specific genre and now so much crap falls under the punk label that one "punk" band doesn't sound like another.  (If you look at the perspective that "Punk" is an overall term, and something like "Emo" is a sub-genre of punk.  There are other ways you can look at it).

This is from the Japanese wiki:
Kote kei (thick, heavy) - what you think of when you talk about the genre of visual.  Term came about as an opposite to soft kei.  Under that there are two types - black kei and white kei.  Black kei have dark feelings to the rythum and speedy melodies, white kei aims to be more melodious and transparent.

Oshare kei (stylish) - Clothing styles based on female fashion, became popular in the indies scene especially 2002 - 2004.  Said to have originated with Baroque.  The style is a colorful, pop sound which tends to use a "shuffle rythum".

Koteosa kei - with the success of oshare kei, in 2005, bands started fusing both the look and sound of Kote kei and oshare kei together into a new fusion genre.  Examples are Vidoll, 12012, Eimy.

Then it goes on and on xD~ quicker on the rest:

Kurofuku kei (black suit): LUNA SEA、BUCK-TICK、ZI:KILL、Kuroyume

Soft Visual kei: Siam Shade, Glay, Sophia, Janne Da Arc

Nagoya kei (Nagoya is a place): (older:) Kuruyume, Laputa, Rouage, Fanatic Crisis. (Newer:) Deadman, Gullet, Lynch, Deathgaze, Sugar, -Oz-  (Originally used to describe bands in Nagoya, now used to describe bands influenced by these bands regardless of where they are).

Misshitsu Kei (General term used for bands that belonged to the label Misshitus Neurosis, means a room that is secret or cannot be entered): Cali=/=gari, Mucc, Plastic Tree

Chikashitsu kei (basement): Term comes from a concert in 1997, Tokyo Chikashitsu and includes Denba kei and Angura kei.  Includes bands like Mucc, Inugami Circus Dan, Guruguru Eigakan, and Metronome.

There are others on there too - this is a wiki so don't take this as official.

Remember: Genre and Style are not the same thing.  Historically genre is a term used by journalists,who were trained to write, but not to study music.  Originally they made genre distinctions through lyrics - Rock was about drugs and sex and jail, pop was about more innocent things and love.   Originally pop music was "beneath" critical study, which continued to be concerned with "art" music which was "serious."  That is why it was covered and written about by journalists with no music training - someone had to do it.  Some people consider rock to be a sub-genre of pop music - when you take pop to mean simply "popular music of a culture".   

The only difference between Rites of Spring (early emo band) and other punk bands was the lyrics, and yet they are considered a different genre - mainly because of the themes and lyrics, not the sound.

Tsunetako

I JUST looked at the Japanese Wiki and there is no mention of "koteosa kei". What the fuck? Don't spread bullshit.

JX

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E7%B3%BB

コテオサ
    2005年頃からの主流であり、お洒落系が進化したものと捉えられる。外見・音楽ともにコテヴィジュアル系とお洒落系を融合させたような形態を取っている。ヴィドールや12012、前者とは少し違うがえぃみ→☆などが、これにあたると思われる。

klavierbarrette

i always wondered wtf to call ayabie, lolita23q, vidoll, etc.  i'm putting ayabie and lolita in this because i do NOT consider them oshare.  they're like borderline or were at one time 'sort of' oshare. of course, this is my opinion

@vess
that picard looks liek an alienz!!! or more like when he was a vulcan in that one ep D:

Tsunetako

Quote from: JX on October 21, 2007, 07:38:27 AM
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E7%B3%BB

コテオサ
    2005年頃からの主流であり、お洒落系が進化したものと捉えられる。外見・音楽ともにコテヴィジュアル系とお洒落系を融合させたような形態を取っている。ヴィドールや12012、前者とは少し違うがえぃみ→☆などが、これにあたると思われる。

~*i'm retarded*~

klavierbarrette

you really are, its also in the english wiki

google it man wtf

JX

No worries - though I just googled it an all these English-speaking fangirls are calling it a style of Decora  ???  So now I have to see what else I can find about it!

http://www.xxice09.x0.com/free/vol8.htm#k

That is a nice fan site with definitions of vk-related terms, it doesn't have koteosa on it though.

Culo

nice link JX, thanks.

アンチオサレ系イズム!!!
Fag who reads

Vessicator

we need to urbandictionary this shit. seriously.