News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

What Visual Kei truly is...

Started by 夜の女王様, October 11, 2007, 04:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarze Sonne

Black metal actually describes a music style though. If some pop punk band starts singing about Pagan or Satanic themes and wears Black metal corpsepaint they're still pop punk. If some black metal band starts singing about skateboarding, Christianity, and relationships while wearing vans and other skate clothing, they're still a black metal band.

Music genres are meant to describe just that, music. So that people who discover a band they like the sound of can go look at the genre and use it to find other bands of the same sound. That's all genres are for. And if Visual Kei does not have a distinct sound, then it's not a musical genre.

Vessicator

Oh shi- I didn't elaborate.

Some band said something about visual-kei being a 'band genre' rather than a music genre; a style for the band while retaining an open mind to all sorts of music. Most of, if not all vk bands, know by now that vk does not define what kind of music you make. It should be more associated with glam rock (its derivation), though vk newfags fuss over this kind of nonsense.

Fags? In a sense, yes. Pioneering music? Somewhat.

bis? Oshare-kei, not visual-kei.

SID? lawlz i dunno Mao said some shit about them going to J-pop.

カレン

Um, have you seen a bis concert? They're not oshare. They're a punk band. They never play with oshare bands, they play with bands like lynch. and girugamesh. If you're basing on looks, well that's like calling Lupo Label an oshare band, lulz.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Vessicator

wait. you said that bis is punk, yet telling me that they play with bands like lynch. and girugamesh? or do you say that because you're from germany and went to that one bigass concert?

you're not making any sense. i'm basing the assumption that, because they dress like oshare-kei artists would and sound like oshare-kei artists would.

it's like saying Blink-182 is punk. That's one of the worst misnomers that you can state.

カレン

No, I'm not from Germany, I went to their lives in Japan. And actually yes, Blink-182 is punk, believe it or not. Pop-punk is a form of punk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk

They sound nothing like oshare. They might have back when they were on PSC but they don't anymore. And their concerts are about as close to punk as you can get in the visual scene.

And yes, I'm comparing them to lynch. in particular. Hardcore is also a sub-genre of punk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk

Wiki is your friend.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Quorthon

I totally agree with Karen, visual kei is totally a scene, not a genre.

Yumeko

Quote from: Vessicator on October 17, 2007, 08:28:22 PM
Some band said something about visual-kei being a 'band genre' rather than a music genre; a style for the band while retaining an open mind to all sorts of music. Most of, if not all vk bands, know by now that vk does not define what kind of music you make. It should be more associated with glam rock (its derivation)...

I agree.  You said it better than me.  'band genre'...good term.  And yah; I've always related VK to glam rock too; so I agree with you there again.
drawing by me...

凸(。☉౪ ⊙。)▁▇▀▀▀~~~卍

ramrod - Man of ur wetdreams

Vessicator

Quote from: カレン on October 18, 2007, 12:43:47 AM
No, I'm not from Germany, I went to their lives in Japan. And actually yes, Blink-182 is punk, believe it or not. Pop-punk is a form of punk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk

They sound nothing like oshare. They might have back when they were on PSC but they don't anymore. And their concerts are about as close to punk as you can get in the visual scene.

And yes, I'm comparing them to lynch. in particular. Hardcore is also a sub-genre of punk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk

Wiki is your friend.

Oh god. There's a correlation between pop-punk (paradox) and punk, but to be so ignorant as to call it 'punk' is to insult every punk band that has ever existed.  And no matter how much Travis Barker or Tom DeLonge stated it in their truckload-of-fail concerts back in Enema Of the State, they're not punk. Not back then, not during 'Take Off Your Pants and Jacket', not when they remade all their old generic shit and placed a new, shittier album cover, and not when they broke up and formed their newer, shittier band 'Plus-41'. If you've listened to their songs and still believe Blink-182 was a 'form of punk', then please shoot yourself in the name of Iggy Pop.

The only way I can see that you think bis is "pop-punk" is from their cover of Rancid's 'Ruby Soho'. Other than that, they're pretty pop-rock (eg. SEASON'S, Color of Mind, S.S.I.) It's as if I said "Jimmy Eat World is punk" or "AFI is punk". If you want to go ahead and say "well AFI USED to be punk/hardcore and Jimmy Eat World is emo, which is a TYPE of punk", then you're just going out of your way to fuck up music genres just to win an argument. If you have such an existentialist view on music, then technically everything here is a 'type' of African American folk music.

And lynch., hardcore?

Get out. Just go. I would've at least understood had you said something like 'metal' or 'screamo'.

カレン

Nah, I won't get out. I love arguing with people. It's like my only form of entertainment.

A genre is only a construction anyway.

Continue on with your previous discussion. It's obvious that no one is right. Ever.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Tsunetako

We all know who the true punk band is: Lareine.

Vessicator

Quote from: カレン on October 18, 2007, 06:30:30 AM
Nah, I won't get out. I love arguing with people. It's like my only form of entertainment.

A genre is only a construction anyway.

Continue on with your previous discussion. It's obvious that no one is right. Ever.

No. I'm right.

I don't understand how you can love arguing when you fail so badly at it.

But thanks for showing us just how badly you can fail, even WITH the assistance of Wikipedia.

カレン

Haha, I don't care if you're right. Just like I don't care if I'm wrong. That's the whole point of this thread anyway, right? Opinions, I has them.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで

Vessicator

But you cared enough to tell me that bis is not oshare-kei, and even go out of your way to look up wikipedia articles just to show me that you seem to know a little bit about using the 'Search' function to bring up worthless facts that have no relevance with your argument whatsoever. Note that I did not say anything about 'categorizing music'.

Fail harder plz.

yup.

カレン

Okay so you explained what punk is. Then explain what oshare is and why bis falls under such a description.

Please enlighten me.

Oh and could you also maybe tell me why bands like Van Halen and Bon Jovi are considered metal? Never quite understood that either.

I mean, since I'm so dumb and all, I'd really like to know.
誰も知らない世界で 流し続けた涙と嘘を隠す
果てしない空の下で
何も見えない視界で 重ね続けた願いを描いて
潤んだ目が渇く日まで