News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

the GazettE

Started by signal to noise, July 23, 2007, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signal to noise

i really really enjoy this band. they are my second favorite jrock band (next to Dir en grey), and i just love all their stuff. well not the really really old stuff, but when they got to a certain point...they ended up being really good. i know that a lot of people think they just have a stereotypical vk screamo sound, but i dunno, no band sounds quite like them, and i think their sound and style is really solid. their newest cd is pretty impressive. i cant believe people were complaining about the hip hop elements. listen to the opening of Disorder. its just a shame that i doubt they are gonna tour the US. i heard rumors that the reason they didnt play Jrock Revolution was because fangirls were sending them mail online saying they'd rape them and were sending naked pictures or something like that. fangirldom is getting out of control. anyways. yeah i really like this band, i think they write some crazily good songs, and i have their newest dvd and their live show is just ridiculous. i'd love to see them one day.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

非難GO-GO > バクチク

They are alright , I'm the oppisite of you , I don't care for anything from nil up. I really hate it when bands change thier names midway thorough as well.  ( Calmando Qual > Twisted Clock ) Adding 'THE' before Gazette makes them sound like every other rock band that has the in front of thier name , it's the band naming trend atm.

I don't care for thier direction atm , and thought they sounded better with thier earlier releases. Stacked rubbish was alright , and Ruki has become a better vocalist that's it. Some of the sonds were likeable , the jesus one is amazingly ammusing in a fun way and the rest I really don't remember , then again  I've only listened to it a couple of times. The way they sound now , I can't tell them apart from 3 or 4 current bands ; one of them being Nightmare.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

Do As Eternity 6

i love them ...they are in my top 10 favorite bands and i'm nmore like signal when it comes to them ...i actually rarely listen to the older stuff ...i like it but it doesn't give me the same feel as the current stuff...for me their best was definitely NIL ... it had variety and great flow and connection between all the songs...it's just lovely ... i like stacked rubbish alot ...i actually like  the way they sound with the hip-hop infusion and well my favorite song by them is on this album(FITB)...it's not better then nil but it's a great effort i can't say i remember every track vivdly off it but hell it's still pretty good ^^

and yea i heard that rumour too... while it's true the fangirls/boys are crazy i think that's bullshit they didn't come because of that ...besides i heard it was really because they were working hard on their album and it conflicted with their schedule and stuff... i can't see crazy fagirls stopping them cuz you can't tell me bands like vidoll and alice nine. don't get that craziness either..cuz we know that's not true...and oh my gawd if deg doesn't have them i don't know what band does and they even toured here >.<

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

4skin,

i really doubt that fangirls would stop them from playing North America. but i've always wondered as to why they didnt play Revolution, i mean, there were what? 3 PS Company Artists on the bill? if Gazette were there, it wouldve made the entire family. (lol, besides Kra.  ;)) but then again, didnt Yoshiki hand pick all of the artists on the bill? perhaps Vidoll still have a problem with them. plus, Gazette have become pretty confident as a band, im not sure if they'd want the entire stage to themselves. well, Ruki anyway.

lovetrick

I have to agree with 마왕, I enjoyed everything up to NIL. They were my first fandom band, but I can't really stand to listen to them anymore.

Vessicator

Their newest release, 'Stacked Rubbish', gives a good description of its contents.

Yumeko

I like GazettE a lot and I like their newer stuff too.  But I think they need to go back to their older sound a bit because that's what made them more original.  I think not coming to JRR because of fangirls is silly because I doubt Yoshiki would ever allow the artists to be at risk.  And as someone said before; there were a lot of vidoll and alice nine. fangirls...not to mention miyavi fangirls too adn things went just fine.  I'm more inclined to think they were busy with stuff and couldn't make it.  Yoshiki said in an interview that some bands couldn't make it because there were problems with visas and schedules; not everyone had the time.  Although I was under the impression that any bands that were interested could sign up to do it.  Maybe Yoshiki made the final decision of who played; but I don't think he approached each band and asked them.
drawing by me...

trickstar

I have to agree with 마왕 and lovetrick. I liked their stuff up until NIL, but when I listened to Stacked Rubbish for the first time  - dear lord. x__x
And I wasn't pleased that they changed their name (come on, the GazettE?).

I have to agree though, that Ruki's voice has gotten better by Stacked Rubbish, but I can't stand the rapping and scratchtable, not to mention the random female vocals. I'm hoping that I'll get used to their newer stuff.

4skin,

THE BAND CHANGED? FUCK THEM!

signal to noise

Quote from: 4skin, on July 28, 2007, 10:50:06 PM
THE BAND CHANGED? FUCK THEM!
haha THANK YOU.

anyways, what the fuck is the fuss with the name change? its hardly a change at all, i dont see how "The GazettE" sounds more 'generic vk' than just "Gazette" does.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Karasu

Gazette....Gazette....Gazette

They are a band I have to be in the mood for to listen to. As of now, they are in the mood so for me, they're ok for a VK/jrock band. Now while I think Ruki got better in his singing ability, I get pissed off at some of the things he does. He consistantly uses this...'dual vocal' effect for all his choruses, and I can't stand it. He doesn't need to, and he does. Not only that, but he uses it like...so much, it's unbearable for me.

Their music though, has gotten better throughout the times. It used to be...so generically jrock poppy-ish, with the generic 'angry hard' song. The new album really had a good unique feel for them, and it's production was mind-blowing. It was as if they recorded and produced with an american producer, it was so good.

What else...their visuals. They never had good visual aspect to me, it always looked like a mish-mash of colors and outfits that just didn't...fit the music and them at all. I think they need to ditch being VK and try just being a regular band with jeans and a shirt, or button shirt.

Live wise, they're good musically, but Ruki can't seem to pull off what he does in the studio. Hearing Discharge or Maggots is just pain to my ears live. It's sad either that he can't improvise to mask the fact he can't. Oh well though, their albums are good for the most part so i'll stick with that instead.

Anyway, on a scale of 1-10...

Gazette's a 6.5

Do As Eternity 6

^ i agree somewhat... i always thought the older sound sounded more like generic vk in style than the newer sound (no exactly j-rock popish...cuz i think they incorporate a bit more pop in the newer sound but even so i think the mix of the pop elements and the heavy rock elements is great and a lot less messy sounding)... iono when i hear them now i can say ah that's the gazette ...when with the older stuff i couldn't quite do that...i mean i like the old stuff but it just never stood out to me

(and about the production...i dunno if an american helped produce it but i know they came to new york to finish work on the album =] )

about the name change xD i don't think it's a big deal but it is annoying with bands continually changing their names >_> ...the gazette one doesn't bother me that much though i just still call them Gazette and kind of ignore the change =/

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

signal to noise

Quote from: Karasu on July 29, 2007, 07:37:53 PM
Live wise, they're good musically, but Ruki can't seem to pull off what he does in the studio. Hearing Discharge or Maggots is just pain to my ears live. It's sad either that he can't improvise to mask the fact he can't. Oh well though, their albums are good for the most part so i'll stick with that instead.

i think he sings perfectly live.  as for screaming, if you listen to older live stuff, he could scream really hard with no restraint, and i think thats because they werent playing well over 2 hours a night like they do now. he has the ability to do these screams, its not coded with computer effects, its just that you play these massive shows, you cant be screaming as hard as the original recordings or your voice will be DONE after the first week.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Karasu

The lives I saw were horrible. He couldn't even stay with the pace of the song, and when he screamed...it sounded hoarse and strained to high heaven. It was not good.

Before this turns into a "you fuckin' insulted my band, prepare to die" type of thread [because I can feel it in my bones], please don't be insulted with what I say. What I say is merely my opinion, unlike some people in this forum who just shoot their mouth off as if they know for a fact was is good and what is not.

nekki_chibi

I think that current Gazette is a very manipulated, but _very_ good (in terms of recording, promotion, presentation, styling, etc-etc-etc-etc) band;
they make mainstreamy, but almost always quality songs, and the only thing i really didn't like were b-sides for Regret\Filth in the Beauty - that sounded totally like uninspired, old, unreleased at its time material. Like Miyavi's Senior, Seniora, Seniorita I mean :)
Hyena and Stacked Rubbish don't bring anything new, but they're catchy, and they're produced to be succesful.
Not to mention that Burial Applicant is surely the best ( and the most expensive) jrock video of the year.
(Though Crow Music's management really has a very _strange_ vision of branding, if they renamed a band named Gazetto - that's really easy to speak and totally rememberable, to The Gazette - very strange...)
Quoteone of them being Nightmare
Oh my.... I'd say that current Nightmare are being Gazettish (or like their mother and father, Dir en greyish), but most of their songs, even singles, are boring to death, with the final strike of Yomi's moooooooooooooing voooooooooooois
QuoteThe lives I saw were horrible. He couldn't even stay with the pace of the song, and when he screamed...it sounded hoarse and strained to high heaven. It was not good.
That's true for their lives of 2004, when Gazetto'd just joined PSC.. or do you mean actual, these days lives?