News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

serious music discussion forum

Started by Yumeko, July 05, 2007, 07:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipetcats

@ Yumeko
I do put myself in that group, but you have to look at statistics.
More than half of this forum isn't capable and the people who are actually interested would be a small amount.

It's a good idea, it's just no one would abide by the rules.

@klavierbarrette
Hahahaha.
You're right D:

Do As Eternity 6

Quote from: klavierbarrette on July 13, 2007, 10:03:06 PM
review forum/discussion forum = good idea in theory, but i think the flamers would flock to it.

i mean that's just setting it up for them....'DID YOU LIKE AN CAFE'S NEW SINGLE???'

yeah, we know how many oshare haters we have here.

lmao your so right xD

oh well it's been said before ...it's a great idea but it won't work without heavy moderation... people here won't all of a sudden grow-up but if we had rules and someone there to make sure the rules were followed i think it would be able to function

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

Yumeko

@ ipetscats

I understand what you're saying.  I just find it disappointing that we can't have stuff like that here because others would ruin it.

@ Klavierbarrette

LOL true.  But people just have to have restraint.  If you don't like something; than don't waste your time on it.  It's like the people on DA that, even tho they don't like yaoi/shounen-ai art, they'll click on the damn image preview and look at the bigger version and then take the time to post something ignorant and mundane like 'ewww' or 'that's just wrong'.  It always makes me wonder why they even bother.
drawing by me...

ipetcats

Quote from: Yumeko on July 13, 2007, 11:59:25 PM
@ ipetscats

I understand what you're saying.  I just find it disappointing that we can't have stuff like that here because others would ruin it.

@ Klavierbarrette

LOL true.  But people just have to have restraint.  If you don't like something; than don't waste your time on it.  It's like the people on DA that, even tho they don't like yaoi/shounen-ai art, they'll click on the damn image preview and look at the bigger version and then take the time to post something ignorant and mundane like 'ewww' or 'that's just wrong'.  It always makes me wonder why they even bother.

It is disappointing.

andddd, haha, it's true!
It's like getting flamed on fanfiction.net for writing a fanfiction.
You just sit there, dumbfounded.

Alice the Sister

You know, sometimes you can ignore the flamer and continue on with the discussion without allowing he or she to derail the thread.
BFM OMFZG , YEZ I R HAPPY

非難GO-GO > バクチク

Quote from: Alice the Sister on July 14, 2007, 12:11:24 AM
You know, sometimes you can ignore the flamer and continue on with the discussion without allowing he or she to derail the thread.

I could not have said it better.
music reviews & full album samples:
http://archaenon.net/guitarhythm/

ipetcats

Unless they stalk you, which some people do.
And others just don't like to go unnoticed.

Do As Eternity 6

because the earth is not flat my friends... yea i just wanted to say that ....

i guess what i meant to say was because the world is not perfect and if it was where everyone thought that sensibly this thread wouldn't exist to begin with...hmmm was that what i meant to say... no it was smth more along the lines of what ipetcats said ...things don't get ignored so easily...and even if you try smts there's the one time where your just fed up or your annoyed as hell already and it just gets on your nerves... and you know you don't even have to respond but it still kind of just kills the mood of the thread ...

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

Alice the Sister

Well.. I'm just saying that you shouldn't always allow a flamer to derail a thread. I've seen instances where people ignore it and move on. Certain communities can do that, and some just can't let things go. But there comes a time when you have to just let it go, or else you won't really have a productive forum environment. People troll and flame to get a reaction. If you stop giving them the reactions they so desperately want, they'll go away. And if they don't go away and it becomes a serious problem that's what administrators are for. Stalking is illegal.

I've been in so many different forum environments, that I can safely say I've seen it work. I've been the one who has flamed and baited people in certain instances. And it would've been a lot easier on them and for the sake of those forums if they would've ignored me.

Whoever said Dont Feed the Trolls might have been onto something. Some people are just plain dumb. If you're one of the lucky ones who isn't dumb then my advice to you is to wade through the dumb ones and make the trip worth it. There are plenty of serious discussions to be had about Asian Culture. I don't think they should be derailed simply because a handful of people have closed minds. However, they're entitled to their opinion as well.

Not everyone is perfect, but I think if there were too many rules it might not work. It's good to 'open' but to also be respectful. I'm disrespectful often here on Tonberry just for shits and giggles. Sometimes I feel like I'm using mockery to make some sort of point. Like with the VK Band - VK title download thing.

We could have serious discussions on here, but the people who wish to have them are the ones that have to follow the guidelines. The people who don't want to have serious discussions should just be ignored and not allowed to let a good thread go bad. And again, that's what "moderators" are for. They keep threads clean and make sure everyone plays nice. That's why I make statements about DO appointing mods with hardly any post counts. I was hoping for some staff who were regular posters and could have a rapport with the community and build discussions. There's still hardly any staff that add to the community. Not that I don't like whoever he appoints. Most of the people are pretty cool. I've talked with Guidecca on irc before and she's (he? I dunno) pretty nice.

But it's more than that.

With the way things stand, I don't see serious discussion lasting very long. Practically it would be self-moderated by the members who'd value the serious discussion and they wouldn't necessarily be obligated or have any official authority to actually moderate the discussion at all.

If we wanted serious discussion we'd have to put some things out on the table. We know things are going to get heated. They'll live. But will there be someone to actually help the threads prosper instead of just closing them when necessary? If we were to have serious discussion, I feel we'd need some moderators that harbor discussion and can cool people down and get the baiters to cool it. We'd also have to have let people know that sometimes it's not worth it to respond to flamers, etc. I don't know how well that'd go over... But it's something we all have to work on, and will have to do if you really really want serious music discussion. We're all capable of it, but it's hard to change I suppose.

Do As Eternity 6

^^ that's better and i know what you mean...it's true there are plenty of places where the problem doesn't exist because people just don't pay attention to the trolls...however the last 2 paragraphs you wrote was basically what i was getting at ... that's what we lack here >.< and things don't change that easily ...which is why this is so ideal but meh will probably not happen anytime soon =/

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

Champ213

Not feeding the trolls is fair enough. But what you see very often around here is that the trolls feed each other. :D I can point to several threads were one group is basically trying to have a discussion (or just thank an uploader for a file), while a second group starts a pointless flame war about whatever. The first group actually does tend to ignore the second group, but the latter one is pretty content fighting out their private little grievances with each other on an open forum. It's kinda annoying and doesn't make thread worthwhile to read. I'm really not interested in reading who hates who for whatever reason.

Yumeko

It's also ideal to expect everyone to ignore a flamer.  I know I can do it; but then you have one person that thinks they're funny and encourages with maybe something as simple as 'lol' or whatever.  And then you do have people that can't ignore it.  And sometimes I don't blame them when the troll/flamer is targeting one person and hitting below the belt.

I also agree about the mods here.  No offense to any of them or DO for picking them; but really mods should be people that are active poster; have a good reputation with the community; and care enough about the site to do their job and stay active and friendly without acting all powerful.  I'm not saying the mods don't do any of that.  But honestly; who are the mods?  I don't know who any of them are but maybe two ^^v

@ champ

that two; there are enough flamers here that they do encourage each other.  but that's all the more reason for mods to do something about this.  I don't think I've ever been on a forum where the flaming was this out of hand.  Now I've been on big forums with an equal amount of flamers; but considering the amount of flamers here out of the regular posters...it's a lot.
drawing by me...

Do As Eternity 6

Quote from: Champ213 on July 14, 2007, 03:42:23 AM
Not feeding the trolls is fair enough. But what you see very often around here is that the trolls feed each other. :D I can point to several threads were one group is basically trying to have a discussion (or just thank an uploader for a file), while a second group starts a pointless flame war about whatever. The first group actually does tend to ignore the second group, but the latter one is pretty content fighting out their private little grievances with each other on an open forum. It's kinda annoying and doesn't make thread worthwhile to read. I'm really not interested in reading who hates who for whatever reason.

this is sooooo true!!! lol the trolls often have flame wars among themselves even if the flame didn't even start with one group of flamers ...and once that snowballs the thread looses it's flow and can get ruined =_=

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか

Alice the Sister

heheheh perv.

you said snowball!

Perv!

Anyways...where were we?

I don't have a problem with most of the mods we have now. However, I do wish that they'd have a more active role in promoting topics and being established members on the forums and such. That's what staff are supposed to do when they're not doing technical stuff.

fangy89