News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Kanji tattoo

Started by residentevilrulz, July 02, 2007, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

residentevilrulz

Does anyone know what the vertical Kanji tattoos are called? Like the one on Miyavi's arm? http://kakamshiimahzu.tripod.com/FairNaoKa/photo_01_05.jpg
Also, what do they typically express? I am thinking of getting one, but I'd like to know a lot about them before I get one.

Tsunetako

They say "Image hosted by Tripod www.tripod.com"

Champ213

Quote from: Tsunetako on July 02, 2007, 08:25:49 AM
They say "Image hosted by Tripod www.tripod.com"

Now that's something I always wanted to have as a kanji tattoo.  :D

Kanji tattoos are only cool if you know what they mean. I once met a guy who had 手 (hand) tattooed on his arm, believing it meant "power".  ::)

residentevilrulz

Oh my... I can't believe someone would do that...  I wouldn't get one unless I was certain that I knew what it meant and how to say it..

signal to noise

yeah i hate it when people get them because they are told what they meant and they think its cool. when it comes to getting something of another language and writing, you need to be 100% sure YOURSELF that it says what it says. i bet you there are thousands of people with kanji tattoos that mean completely different things than what they thought they meant.
REQUESTS!!!!!
OOOOO a.k.a. MUGEN album

Yumeko

if I got a kanji tattoo it would be the kanji for dream "yume" and whether or not I would have the kanji for child "ko" added after that; I don't know.  But I'm certain what those look like in kanji form.  That would be the only kanji I would get and that's because Yumeko has been my nickname for nearly a decade.
drawing by me...

residentevilrulz

well if I took mine straight from a Japanese-english dictionary, and checked multiple sources, I'm sure it'd be fine. But mainly what I want to know is what do the vertical series of kanji symbols usually stand for? Like.. what idea is a vertical tattoo like that supposed to express? Or is it just meant to mean whatever you want it to? I don't know if I'm explaining this right..

Yumeko

Japanese is usually written top to bottom and right to left when it's vertical.  When it's written horizontal its usually written left to right.  yah kinda confusing; I know.  As far as I'm aware; there's no special significance to it.  You could have the same thing written both ways and the meaning is exactly the same.  How you choose to write it; vertical or horizontal; is up to you.
drawing by me...

Vessicator

don't be a fag. get tattoos in latin biotch

residentevilrulz

Vessicator

residentevilrulz

Whatever asshole. Shut the fuck up. You're one of those assholes that just loves to flame people for no reason. I don't care what you think. I don't think anyone else does either

Vessicator

Then why'd you make this thread, dumbass?

residentevilrulz

I didn't make the thread to hear about how I'm a fag if I don't get a latin tattoo. Hence, I don't care what you think. I made the thread to know more about Kanji tattoos. I have 2 words for you that may be of help for future reference

Vessicator

What is this, failed gif war?
Anyways, here's to you taking the internet too seriously, dumbass.