News:

Tonberry is serious business We respect your opinions!

Main Menu

Gackt and Josie and the Pussycats!?

Started by residentevilrulz, June 21, 2007, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

residentevilrulz

So.. my girlfriend came over today and she is a big fan of many Japanese bands just like me. And she wanted to know if I liked Another World by Gackt. I of course answered yes, as he is in my top 10 favorites. Anyhow.. she said that song sounds almost exactly like this song from Josie and the pussycats. So I watched the video and... well... I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. Someone has to be copying.. I doubted highly that Gackt would do that. But I found out that the movie that song was played in was released in April 2001 and Gackt's "Another World" single was released in September of "01"... I don't know what to think lol. I refuse to believe Gackt liked that movie.. or song for that matter lol. Tell me what you think. Listen to the 2 songs and decide. I got a kick out of all this though lol.

Another World ~Gackt (For those who haven't already heard it)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRdbkviQ_I4

Josie and the Pussycats.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsvpg963ej8

Anonymous_Lulz

this is more like coincidence i think.  that movie blew bad and Gackt version has better everything.  so if he really did copy, i say he was taking a crap song and making it into something enjoyable.

Culo

i think "another world" has a very simple, common and dare i say uninspired structure, it's the typical song you'd hear in the suckiest pop radio.
So i think more than saying he copied the song, I just say it's a pop song.
it's like saying one of these californian punk bands stole the song from each other, they're all the same song with different lyrics, different names and slighlty different arranges, but that's it.
Fag who reads

Do As Eternity 6

lol both songs irritate me and i agree with naja ... i think it's just that it's a generic beat so it's more a matter of coincidence

誰もいない街
静かに 朝日は私の影落として 
明日は 逃げずに そこにあるのか
-"rumble fish" Do As Infinity

residentevilrulz

lol. Whatever the reason is I think it's funny as hell

klavierbarrette

booh

LMAO! anwayz gaku version is better XD

Chalchihuitlicue

I always wondered if it was just me who noticed that... I thought of the Josie and the Pussycats song the very first time I heard "Another World".

Yumeko

A better one is Gackt's Emu~for my dear~ vs U2's With or Without You.  The songs are mostly different; but theres that back beat that is the same exact notes in a kinda different order.  I didn't even notice it until my brother asked one day if I was listening to U2 and then I noticed it right away.
drawing by me...

residentevilrulz

man... you're right... that's crazy. I don't know how crazy ol' Gackt gets away with this lol. jk

Thaliane

That's scary o.O
I've found many artists that have songs that are similar, but this one made me laugh the hardest!
I indeed think it is just a coincidence, or maybe he did watch the movie and got influenced without realising it.
He was probably thinking "why does this sound so familiar to me ???", and just put it on an album, because he didn't remember...who would want to remember that movie :P
the thing about living is like wondering in the darkness.
The thing about dying, that, is also darkness.

residentevilrulz

Hopefully that's what it was. I respect Gackt too much to accept the idea of him stealing a song from a sucky-ass movie like that  :P